[blind-democracy] —ON THE PICKET LINE—

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2017 21:32:01 -0400

http://themilitant.com/2017/8125/812532.html

The Militant (logo)

Vol. 81/No. 25      July 10, 2017

Militant/David Olson

Striking Toronto Zoo workers June 3. One-month walkout opposed contracting out their jobs.

New Zealand packaging workers force abusive manager to resign

AUCKLAND, New Zealand — Workers at the Orora Kiwi Packaging plant here where I work recently forced National Manufacturing Manager Robert Busson and other plant supervisors to resign.

Busson was hired more than two years ago to implement speedup and drive down wages and conditions at the company’s three plants nationwide in Hastings, Christchurch, and Auckland.

Bullying, harassment and abusive behavior towards individual workers, in particular casual workers, was the modus operandi of supervisors under Busson. Workers who stood up to company intimidation were threatened with disciplinary action and told, “If you don’t like it there’s the door.”

In September 2016 young union workers spearheaded a petition drive demanding Busson’s removal. A majority of production workers — union and nonunion — at the plant here signed it.

Almost two months later Orora bosses attempted to reach an early contract settlement, even though the current one didn’t expire until the end of February. The bosses offered a 6.5 percent wage raise over three years and a $500 signing bonus. But workers rejected the offer.

The vote was followed by an “alarming” decline in production, according to the Orora bosses, and the resignations of senior plant supervisors. Shortly afterwards Busson resigned. Most of my co-workers say this was because of our resistance.

— Eugen Lepou

Toronto Zoo workers’ strike over job security strengthens union

TORONTO — “We are standing up for the little guy which involves sacrifices and to make it easier for others in the future,” picket captain Brandon Bordash told supporters of the Communist League June 3 at the main entrance to Toronto Zoo.

Some 400 members of Canadian Union of Public Employees Local 1600 went on strike May 11. About half work full-time, the rest are seasonal workers. The union represents zookeepers, horticulturalists, tradespeople, administration and public relations staff, concession and ride operators at Canada’s largest zoo.

The union says that the key issue is job security for newer employees, against contracting out their work. The board of management of the zoo, which is owned by the city of Toronto, closed the zoo during the strike. City bus drivers were refusing to cross the picket line.

More than 1,000 people attended a rally in solidarity with the strikers June 2 in front of City Hall. Delegates from the nearby CUPE convention and supporters from other unions and the community participated.

The workers ratified a four-year agreement June 11 and returned to work. “Although we lost some job security,” Local President Christine McKenzie told the Militant, “it was a worldly experience for this young workforce, a majority of whom have not previously participated in a strike situation. They now better understand what it means to be in a union.”

— David Olson

Related articles:
Berry workers in Washington win contract, raise, respect
Miners, rail workers in Ukraine fight gov’t, boss attacks

Front page (for this issue) | Home | Text-version home