[blind-democracy] —ON THE PICKET LINE—

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2015 21:26:51 -0400

http://themilitant.com/2015/7924/792432.html

The Militant (logo)

Vol. 79/No. 24 July 13, 2015

—ON THE PICKET LINE—

Maggie Trowe, Editor

Above, Militant/Josefina Otero
Members of United Steelworkers Local 7139-05 march and rally in front of ATI stainless steel mill in Washington, Pennsylvania, June 25, against concession demands. They are among nearly 2,500 unionists whose contract with ATI expires June 30. T-shirts read, “The concession stand is closed!”

Contribute to coverage of steel and auto contract fight!
This column is dedicated to spreading the truth about the labor resistance that is unfolding today, to give voice to those engaged in battle and help build solidarity. National steel and auto contracts are expiring this summer and fall. I invite workers involved in fights against concessions to contact me at 306 W. 37th St., 13th Floor, New York, NY 10018; or (212) 244-4899; or themilitant@xxxxxxx. We’ll work together to ensure your story is told.

— Maggie Trowe

Minneapolis janitors strike for one day
demanding higher wages
MINNEAPOLIS — Janitors at more than 50 retail stores struck on June 9 demanding higher wages, medical benefits and paid sick leave. Some 100 janitors and supporters marched in front of downtown Macy’s that day.
“Five of us clean the Target store. None of us went to work last night,” Ivonne Garduno, a janitor who works for an agency contracted to supply cleaners for the downtown store, told the Militant. “Some co-workers from first and second shift are here at the picket line too.”

The janitors and supporters next picketed the Best Buy shareholders meeting at the company’s corporate headquarters in nearby Richfield. While janitors at Best Buy headquarters are organized by Service Employees International Union, the workers in the stores are not.

Paul Bassett, a janitor at Sears in Coon Rapids, makes $8.50 an hour working for a contractor. “I am not on strike, but I’m here to support my fellow cleaners,” he said. “Our wages are not fair. We want a union. With more people, more numbers, we can make a difference.”

The actions were organized by Centro de Trabajadores Unidos en Lucha (Center of Workers United in Struggle).

— Lisa Rottach

Steelworkers rally against ATI concession contract proposal
WASHINGTON, Pa. — “The concession stand is closed!” read T-shirts worn by members of United Steelworkers Local 7139-05, who rallied in front of Allegheny Technologies Inc. flat-rolled products mill here June 25 against the company’s contract proposals. The 220 Steelworkers at this plant are among 2,450 ATI workers, most in the Alle-Kiski Valley northeast of Pittsburgh, whose contract expires at the end of June. The flat-rolled mills produce stainless steel and stainless steel alloys used in a wide variety of industries.
Steelworkers gathered in front of the Jessop Credit Union and marched to ATI corporate offices in front of the steel mill during afternoon shift changes.

“It’s an attempt to break the union,” Marc Scott, a storeroom clerk at the mill, told the Washington Observer-Reporter.

“This is about my family’s future,” Brent Allen, who works at the new hybrid anneal line in the mill, told the Militant. “We should be able to work to live, not live to work.”

Similar rallies were held at all 11 ATI flat-rolled plants in Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and Ohio.

The actions take place as the Steelworkers enter negotiations for some 30,000 workers at U.S. Steel and ArcelorMittal whose contracts expire Sept. 1.

ATI has hired two strikebreaking outfits to supply scab workers and security and guard service, reports a USW fact sheet.

ATI wants big changes to health care for active, retired and future workers; cuts to the pension agreements for current and future workers; and reduced wages and overtime pay, the union fact sheet states, as well as changes in contract language that would allow management to increase use of contractors.

“If we accepted their 145 items on language, the company could do whatever they want,” said Glen (Skip) Langdon, president of the local here.

— Josefina Otero, retired member of USW Local 7139-05

Front page (for this issue) | Home | Text-version home