[blind-democracy] Re: Mental illness or terrorism?

  • From: Alice Dampman Humel <alicedh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2015 11:45:15 -0400

Notice that the examples you cite also span several centuries on the historical
timeline.
Yes, their are differences within any given ideology. Some of them conflict
with each other.
But in the case of the extremists, the fanatics, those who murder in the name
of their ideology, it has less to do with the ideology and everything to do
with hatred, bigotry, fanaticism and violence.
If the 9/11 extremists had claimed pastafarianism as their motivator, then
those who already hate the pastafarians would be rising up and capitalizing on
that to spread their already active pastafarianophobia…
The Nazis gave all the antiSemites an excuse to act on their feelings more
overtly than they already did. The claim of Islamic terrorists give those who
have Muslims more of a license to act on their bigotry.

On Oct 6, 2015, at 11:30 AM, Miriam Vieni <miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Abdulah,

Every religion has people who interpret it differently. There are Christians
who believe that Christianity is a peaceful religion and there are others
who believe that they have a right to impose Christianity on everyone else
and they fought the Crusades in order to do that. The Catholics had an
inquisition in order to do that. But then, other Catholics are peace
activists and go to jail for their pacifism. In Judaism, there are all
kinds of splits, different groups who see the religion differently and
practise it differently, and there are differences in whether or not they
are Zionists, and differences among Zionists about how Israel should act. So
I'm sure that Islam is the same with different groups, different
interpretations, and each group thinkint that it has the right
interpretation. Even among Atheists, there are differences. It's a really
complex world.