[blind-democracy] Re: Maori defend ancestral land in NZ

  • From: Miriam Vieni <miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 17:53:55 -0400

I was in New Zealand in 1987. There was an attempt on the part of the
government and the european population to demonstrate that the native
population was valued and respected, that there was a change for the
positive, in treatment and attitudes toward the Maori. Some white
Australians bragged about having "Maori blood" in the same way that people
here talk about being part American Indian. However, the only Maoris evident
to us, were those at museums for foreign visitors. We saw one market place
where Maoris shopped. It was filled with inexpensive, inferior products. New
Zealand is another settler country with a disposable indigenous population.