[blind-democracy] Re: Love in the Time of Mania: Six Ways Americans Are Defying Islamophobia

  • From: Miriam Vieni <miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 11:50:26 -0500

The article brought two thoughts to mind. One is that it would be nice if
more Christian leaders and churches felt moved to show public support for
Muslims, as well as Jewish leaders and organizations in addition to JVP. My
second thought is that it would be wonderful if all of the groups mentioned
in the article who made statements regarding peace, could have broadened the
statements to ask for a cessation of western military attacks on Muslim
countries. I realize that, that would have been perceived as devisive if
such pleas came only from Muslims. There are no public pleas for peace from
other religious groups, not even now at Christmas, which is supposed to be a
time for "peace and good will toward all".

YES! Magazine [2], December 13, 2015

http://www.alternet.org/print/news-amp-politics/love-time-mania-six-ways-ame
ricans-are-defying-islamophobia

On Dec. 8, a man identified as Piro Kolvani reportedly [3] walked into the
Fatima Food Mart, in Queens, New York, yelled that he was going to kill
Muslims, and began punching the store's owner, 53-year-old Sarker Haque. A
customer restrained Kolvani until police arrived.

The attack is being investigated as a hate crime and, in the wake of terror
attacks in Paris and San Bernardino, California, there has been a surge of
similar assaults on Muslims.

On Nov. 19, a sixth-grade girl in New York was attacked by three of her
classmates [4], who allegedly called her "ISIS." On Dec. 6, someone left a
pig's head [5] outside the Al-Aqsa Islamic Society in Philadelphia.
According to Muslim Advocates, an organization fighting discrimination
against American Muslims, more than 30 incidents of [6]anti-Muslim hate
crime have occurred since the Paris attacks in November and the San
Bernardino attack in December. As the people in San Bernardino and Paris
deal with a very real grief, it's clear that these events have led to a
heightened fear of Muslims--and some politicians are adding fuel to the
fire.

On Dec. 7, Donald Trump called for "a complete shutdown [7] of Muslims in
the United States until our country's representatives can figure out what is
going on." In support of Trump's proposal, New Hampshire State
Representative Al Baldasaro compared it favorably [8] to the imprisonment of
Japanese Americans during World War II.

Although many have criticized Trump's remarks--according to the White House,
his statements disqualify [9] him from becoming president--it's still easy
to feel a sense of bleakness about being a Muslim in this country following
the events that have happened in the past few months.

As a Muslim, I find it upsetting to feel that the actions of a few people
may affect the way people view my family, my friends, or myself. And my
non-Muslim friends, too, feel disheartened by what recent events could mean
for the future.

There are, however, many people who are determined to spread peace and
understanding in the wake of these attacks. Here are six different ways
people are combating Islamophobia across the country.

1. Muslims lead peace rallies

On Nov. 27, in Dearborn, Michigan, Muslim protestors--calling themselves
Dearborn Muslims Against Terrorism--held a demonstration outside the Henry
Ford Centennial Library. Members of the group called for peace and support
for the Syrian refugees. They also pointed out that ISIS makes up a minute
fraction of Muslims worldwide.

Hundreds of Muslims also held an antiterrorism rally in Washington, D.C., on
Dec. 6. Many held signs expressing solidarity with the victims of the San
Bernardino attacks and opposition to ISIS, while others served food.

"We feel great in showing our allegiance to America and pray to God to bless
America and its people."

On Dec. 11, the Pakistani American Society of South Jersey led a peace rally

outside Philadelphia's city hall. "I thought that a rally would give an
opportunity to all of us to share our grief... we hold in our sympathies and

prayers the innocent victims of such heinous acts," Owais Lari, the
organization's president, said, "We stand united with the rest of the
country and promote tolerance."

Lari hopes that, in addition to showing solidarity with the victims of the
San Bernardino attack, the rally will also challenge the stereotypical
portrayal of Muslims in the media. "I am not aware of any other country that

has allowed immigrants to feel at home and become proud Americans. We feel
great in showing our allegiance to America and pray to God to bless America
and its people."

2. Students embrace Muslims

Following Donald Trump's call to ban all Muslims from entering the United
States, Muslim students at the University of Virginia decided to fight
Islamophobia through hugs. Muskan Mumtaz and a few of her classmates stood
in front of the university's Garrett Hall on Dec. 7 and 8, wearing
blindfolds and holding signs that read, "Hug a Muslim." Mumtaz estimates
that around 100 people participated each day.

Mumtaz, who studies history and religion at U.Va., was inspired by similar
events that took place in Europe. "I thought it would be a simple yet
effective way to tackle Islamophobia in my immediate community," she said.
"I wanted my peers to realize that Muslim Americans are not an 'other,' and
that we do not fall outside the American community. We're your doctors, your

lawyers, your teachers. The United States is and always will be our home,
simple as that."

For Mumtaz, a refugee from Kashmir, these events have had a personal
resonance. "I understand the types of situations these people are fleeing
from," Mumtaz said. "What Carson and Trump don't seem to realize is that
refugees are the primary victims of Islamic extremism, and to turn them away

on the basis of their religion is not only unconstitutional but also
inhumane."

3. Hashtags take off

Many Muslims displayed their solidarity for the victims of recent terror
attacks through Twitter. Hashtags like #NotinMyName and
#TerrorismHasNoReligion resurfaced after the attacks in Paris and San
Bernardino, while #YouAintNoMuslimBruv began to trend following the stabbing

attacks in Leytonstone, England.

4. Muslims United for San Bernardino raises $177,000

fundraising campaign through LaunchGood. "We wish to respond to evil with
good, as our faith instructs us, and send a powerful message of compassion
through action," the campaign description reads.

Qazi began the fundraising campaign as a local initiative, but people across

the country have donated. The initial goal was to raise $50,000, with the
intention of using the money to assist with the short-term needs of victims'

families, but given the overwhelming support they have received--so far
$177,680--they may be able to help even more than they had anticipated.

According to the campaign description, the money could also be used for
long-term expenses of the families or a donation to the regional center
where the attack took place.

5. Jews speak up on Chanukah

During each night this Chanukah, activists from Jewish Voices for Peace are
participating in public actions across the country to challenge Islamophobia

and ask that the United States welcome refugees.

In New York City, activists will gather at Rockefeller Center for each of
the eight days of Chanukah. Actions are also happening in 15 other cities,
including Atlanta, Seattle, New Haven, Connecticut, Columbus, Ohio, and
Portland, Oregon.

The activists will hold candle-shaped signs with eight different statements
that will together form a menorah. Their commitments include an end to
racist policing, a condemnation of surveillance against Muslims, and a
welcome to Syrian refugees.

"We understand that the ongoing violence against Muslims and those perceived

to be Muslim takes place in the context of ongoing and systemic Islamophobia

and racism that are pervasive and deep within our society," Elly Bulkin of
Jews Against Islamophobia and the Network Against Islamophobia is quoted as
saying on the event's page [10].

6. Solidarity pops up all over

In Fargo, North Dakota, Shinwar Mayi and his former English teacher created
a Facebook group on Dec. 5, called "Fargo-Moorhead Muslims and Friends
Against ISIS." The group works to correct misconceptions about Islam and
refugees--and it already has more than a thousand members.

Members of the group post about community events, political news, and
stories of peace triumphing over Islamophobia.

Interfaith leaders across the country have also held prayer services and
vigils for the Muslim community. On Dec. 10, community leaders stood
together in Philadelphia's Rittenhouse Square, while on the same day in
Columbus, Ohio, interfaith leaders gathered at the First Congregational
Church to show their support for the Muslim community.

The Trinity Lutheran Church in Lynnwood, Washington, is holding an
interfaith event on Dec. 14 entitled, "Love in a Time of Fear: Muslims and
Christians as Good Neighbors."

"Love is not having positive feelings, but rather the act of seeking the
well-being of your neighbor," says the event's webpage [11].

The Church has arranged for several speakers to talk on different subjects,
including respecting the civil rights of all people, including Muslims, and
resisting stereotyping and internalizing the media narrative of Muslims and
terrorism.

Nur Lalji wrote this article for YES! Magazine [12], a national, nonprofit
media project that fuses powerful ideas with practical actions. Nur is an
online reporting intern at YES! Follow her on twitter at @nuralizal [13].

Share on Facebook Share

Share on Twitter Tweet

mailto:corrections@xxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=Typo on Love in the Time of Mania:
Six Ways Americans Are Defying Islamophobia [14]

[15]

Source URL:
http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/love-time-mania-six-ways-americans
-are-defying-islamophobia

Links:

[1] http://www.alternet.org/authors/nur-lalji

[2] http://www.yesmagazine.org

[3]
http://http//www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Muslim-Store-Owner-Assault-Queens
-New-York-City-Bias-Attack-361354111.html

[4]
http://www.insideedition.com/headlines/13411-muslim-sixth-grader-allegedly-a
ttacked-by-schoolmates-who-called-her-isis-tore-at-her-hijab

[5]
http://6abc.com/news/surveillance-apparently-shows-pigs-head-thrown-outside-
mosque/1113522/

[6]
https://www.muslimadvocates.org/updated-anti-muslim-bigotry-rises-alongside-
hateful-rhetoric/

[7]
https://www.donaldjtrump.com/press-releases/donald-j.-trump-statement-on-pre
venting-muslim-immigration

[8]
http://www.boston.com/news/local/new-hampshire/2015/12/08/rep-approves-trump
-muslim-ban-says-just-like-japanese-internment-camps/t8tzXX7XEl5d5L2tCpadKM/
story.html

[9]
http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/08/politics/donald-trump-josh-earnest-disqualifie
d-president-muslims/

[10]
https://jewishvoiceforpeace.org/rekindling-our-commitment-to-justice-on-chan
ukah/

[11] http://catacombchurches.org/2015/11/23/love-in-a-time-of-fear/

[12] http://www.yesmagazine.org/

[13] https://twitter.com/nuralizal

[14] mailto:corrections@xxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=Typo on Love in the Time of
Mania: Six Ways Americans Are Defying Islamophobia

[15] http://www.alternet.org/

[16] http://www.alternet.org/%2Bnew_src%2B