[blind-democracy] Letters

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 21:44:10 -0500

http://themilitant.com/2016/8007/800735.html
The Militant (logo)

Vol. 80/No. 7      February 22, 2016

Letters

 Cop sentenced for beating
Former Inkster cop William Melendez was sentenced Feb. 2 to 13 months to 10 years in prison for the beating of autoworker Floyd Dent.
According to the website Heavy, Dent refused a plea deal on March 25. Originally Dent was charged with resisting arrest and possession of cocaine. This is an example of a point the Militant has been stressing. Workers who are put through the “justice” system seldom go to trial. Instead they are offered the “opportunity” to plead guilty to the lesser charge. Mr. Dent refused this “opportunity” and had all charges dropped.
 Robert Kissinger
 Detroit, Michigan

‘Dumb guys in cowboy hats’
At first I had some support for the Oregon protesters, who have been called “militants” in the media. They have had considerable support here.

But the racism and extremism of the protesters and occupiers has cost them most of this support. Yes, some grievances are legitimate. But to most people here they look like dumb white guys with cowboy hats.
Joan Little
Portland, Oregon

Free the Hammonds
I was pleased with your coverage of the occupation in Harney County, Oregon. You did not fall into the trap of concentrating on the Bundyites and their politics and made the right points about the importance for civil liberties of the Hammonds’ persecution. It’s obvious from watching TV reports and reading the Oregon papers that there is a big class divide on this.

After reading the court’s summary, I think the government’s case against the Hammonds is shaky. Their resentencing smacks of double jeopardy and raises the question of fairness of maximum terms in the first place.

The Hammonds need defenders. This has been made difficult with the focus of attention on the Bundyites and their occupation.

George Johnson
Bend, Oregon

Front page (for this issue) | Home | Text-version home