[blind-democracy] Re: Johann Hari: Everything You Think You Know About Addiction Is Wrong

  • From: Carl Jarvis <carjar82@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 10:29:40 -0700

Miriam,
No doubt about it. We all live in the real world and face choices
that are not of our doing or to our best interests.
My own ambitions caused me to make a choice between living in Spokane
and operating a large cafeteria, or moving to Seattle and taking a job
as instructor in the BEP training facility. A job that paid
considerably less than the cafeteria, but put me in a position to move
into the agency management, and be in the leadership of our battle to
secure a separate agency for the blind. My constant activity in the
community left my wife and two very small children alone most of the
time. Eventually she took as much as she felt she could, and she
bailed out of the marriage. That is a hard way to learn, which seems
to be my normal learning curve. But I've not made the same mistake
again. And for 35 years it has been the right decision. IN fact,
when I'd been promoted to assistant director for field services, I was
being primed to become department director. Cathy and I talked about
the price such a move would cost our family, and I sat down with our
director and took a step back to return to my previous job as director
of the OTC. and allow another person to reach for the stars. When
early retirement was offered, I took it and we began our move to this
Paradise. For 20 years now, we've been working for far less than we
would have been working for in Seattle. Cathy was managing the
paralegal division for the Seattle criminal division, and I was
assistant director at the department of services for the blind.
Between our schedules we hardly saw one another. But in 1994 we
brought in over $120,000, a tidy sum for that day and time. But as I
said, we decided that our family was more important, and we bailed.
At the moment both Cathy and I are sitting in our cozy ten by ten
office. When we are out, we ride side by side in our Ford Sport trak
truck. We spend lots of time with our children and grandchildren.
And when all is accounted for, I believe we're making as big a
contribution to the world as when we were dashing off this way and
that.
As an aside, I have a dear friend who is still trying to move the
state organization of the blind into action. She is now 66 years old
and in shaky health. And the organization has slid into a big happy
family, more interested in avoiding controversy than in taking on the
pressing issues of the day. I tell my friend that she should step
back, but of course she can't or she would have done so.
Each of us lives in this real world, true. But we do have some small
choices that do impact the quality of our own lives.
And maybe in this real world that's the best we can do.

Carl Jarvis
On 7/20/15, Miriam Vieni <miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

But in the real world, the one we live in that is here now, those people
don't have a choice because jobs are not plentiful, or even available. And
at this point in time, it isn't even a question of moving to get a
promotion
versus staying put and finding a job equivalent to the one we have because
there very well may not be a job equivalent to the one we have.