[blind-democracy] Re: Jesus, Christmas and Donald Trump for evangelists

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, MARY CONVY <CCRUSER@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2017 20:59:38 -0400

I do give thought to the political implications of historical periods like the reformation, but I think the author of that book you read got it backwards. Religion is a complex set of superstitions that comprise an ideology the main function of which is the justification of the prevailing class society. At the time of the reformation the class contradictions in the feudal order had come to a head and bourgeois revolutions were just beginning. If we can borrow the phrase punctuated equilibrium from Stephen J. Gould it was time for a punctuation in history. The Catholic church did its ideological job of defending the old order, an order that was crumbling. The upheavals were economic in nature, of course, but given the stranglehold religion had on every aspect of society most people could only express their positions in religious terms and so religious wars broke out. The basis of these wars and revolutions were economic, but they were expressed in religious terms. The big bourgeois revolutions finished toward the end of the eighteenth century with the American and French revolutions and by then the disputes could be expressed in terms of economics much better than they could in the past. Bourgeois revolutions did continue into the nineteenth century though. Some of the big ones then were the revolutions of 1848 and the second American revolution, more commonly known as the American civil war. By that time it would have been very hard to characterize these revolutions as religious wars even if religious sects did take their sides. What it comes down to is that rather than the reformation causing capitalism it was capitalism that caused the reformation. Now, I know that capitalism had not developed to any great extent at the time, but still the wars and revolutions that broke out were part of a rebellion against unjust economic conditions and so capitalism and Protestantism developed together. A new class system was coming into being and religion, as an ideology for the justification of the prevailing class society, had to change in order to justify the new class society. Within the religious wars the Catholic church did represent the reactionary forces, but once the revolutionary forces won out the Catholic church had to change to accommodate the new class reality too.

On 10/11/2017 4:23 PM, MARY CONVY wrote:

Marion, I also have a point to make about your comment that we are not taught to act as a community but as individuals seeking wealth.  I recently read a history of Luther.  It was written as history and not at all as a religious explanation of the era, by a man claiming no religious preference but wanting to present a totally historical viewpoint.  He believed that without the Reformation we would not have the United States develop politically as it did.  The Reformation, which stressed individualism, hard work on one's own behalf, the typical WASP thinking, made capitalism possible.  Our Great Experiment in Democracy and Capitalism would have been impossible if the Catholic Church kept control.  People usually concentrate on all the flaws of practice in the Catholic Church that Luther saw as needing to be changed, but he didn't realize the very foundation of society of the time and its political institutions would also be totally changed.   I had never given much thought to the political effects of the Reformation, just the religious.