[blind-democracy] Re: "It's Not Polite to Say Nigger in Public...."

  • From: Carl Jarvis <carjar82@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 07:29:51 -0700

Good Sunday morning, Abdulah.
It is not the word itself that is the problem. It is who says it. If
a group of young Black men call one another, "Boy", it is done with
the understanding that they are all young men or boys. When I worked
in the drapery factory, I would go for coffee or lunch at George's
Tavern/Cafe. There I sat among a group of burly White men,
longshoremen and truckers. George, an old Greek, would say, "Okay
boys, put your money up". These "boys" were not offended by George.
They called themselves Boys. "Come on, boys, time to get rolling."
But when I brought my helper, a young Black man, working his way
through college, and we sat down for coffee at Georges, and George
came down the counter and said, "Okay boys, money up", my helper
jumped straight off his stool and hunched over like a boxer looking
for an opening, and shouted, "I'm a man. Don't you call me boy".
Old George had that deer in the headlights look. He had no idea what
had made this young Black man turn into a raving maniac. The same is
true with the word, Nigger. Among Black people it is received
differently than when it is said by a White person. Regardless of
what the intent is.
When I worked for the Department of Services for the Blind, the agency
building was in the Southeast end of Seattle. This was a neighborhood
of mixed races. Large influx of Asians and Blacks, along with the
long established Italian residents. When I boarded the bus one
evening, a very large Black man stepped on behind me. "Hey Niggers!"
he shouted down the aisle. All the Black people on that bus looked
up, grinned and greeted him, using Nigger as a warm, familiar
greeting. What do you imagine would have been their reaction if I'd
shouted the same greeting. Even if I were grinning just like that
fellow. The word had been used by Whites as a put down for so many
generations that I could never use it as a warm greeting.
But while I can agree that we need to let the word Nigger fade into
history, what makes me crazy is the idea that we can't say it when
we're talking about the word. "The N word". What the Hell is the
difference? If I boarded that same bus and looked down the aisle at
all those dark faces and shouted, "Hey, N Words. How're you all
doing?" What do you think would happen?
But we go about thinking that if we sanitize our language we will also
change peoples long entrenched attitudes. If it were that easy, blind
people would not be struggling with our efforts to gain first class
standing in our sighted world. Women would not still be fighting for
equality. But, coming from another part of the world, you, Abdulah,
probably are not conditioned to see the word, Nigger, in the same
context as do Americans born and raised here.
I hope this helps you, and does not further confuse you.

Carl Jarvis

On 6/27/15, abdulah aga <abdulahhasic@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

HI
Carle and other folks on list

Now I have question what I couldn't understand sins I cam in USA!

why black people say mostly ich other in joke like what's up my nigger, but

if some body als told them who is not black then is problem?