[blind-democracy] Independent truckers protest new gov’t regulations

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: blind-democracy <blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 11:37:50 -0400

https://themilitant.com/2019/10/12/independent-truckers-protest-new-govt-regulations/

Independent truckers protest new gov???t regulations

??By Maggie Trowe

Vol. 83/No. 38

October 21, 2019
Independent truckers protest new gov???t regulations

Angry truckers staged a ???10-4??? protest on the Mall at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C., Oct. 4, above, to call attention to increasingly onerous government regulations that threaten the livelihood of independent owner-operators. When truckers use citizens band radio, ???10-4??? means, ???I get the message.??? Similar actions took place in South Dakota, Michigan, Kentucky and Indiana.

???Forty-four truckers gathered in Fredericksburg, Virginia, Oct. 3, dropped our trailers, and drove up to the Mall in Washington, D.C., the next day for the protest,??? Chelly Bartow Menkhoff,?? vice president of United States Dedicated Drivers, told the Militant in a phone interview Oct. 8. Her husband Harry Menkhoff, inset, is an independent operator.

???Everything we use or eat was brought in by a truck,??? Chelly Menkhoff said. ???The truckers move the country, not the government. But the government makes rules and regulations??? that undercut safety and increase costs. Some states are proposing big increases in the minimum required insurance for truckers. Others are pushing measures favoring driverless trucks.

Two eastern Kentucky Blackjewel coal miners and their wives ??? Chris and Stacy Rowe and David and Wanda Pratt ??? drove to Washington to join the protest. The Menkhoffs met the miners when they visited Cumberland, Kentucky, to back miners blockading the rail tracks of Blackjewel, a bankrupted coal company. The coal bosses stole the miners??? final paychecks and then tried to move coal out to sell.

???The miners won because we got our point across,??? Wanda Pratt told the Militant.?? ???You can???t do to workers what Blackjewel tried to do to the miners without getting a fight.???

South Dakota truckers organized by a group called ???The Disrespected Trucker??? carried out a ???slow roll??? on interstate highways around Sioux Falls, then continued to Pierre, the state capital, and some drove on to the Mall.

???We???re planning a public protest meeting with an open mic Oct. 24 in Pierre,??? Shawn McIntosh, 58, an owner-operator from South Dakota, told the Militant.?? ???Trucks without drivers are going to kill a lot of people. All this technology is so they can put us out of business. Is it worth people getting killed????

Related Articles

UAW strike against GM is battle for all workers
FLINT, Mich. ??? So many drivers were honking their horns in solidarity that at times it was hard to carry on a discussion on the United Auto Workers picket lines at the General Motors plants here during an Oct. 5-6???

Idaho miners??? rally marks two-and-a-half-year walkout
MULLAN, Idaho ??? Some 100 members of United Steelworkers Local 5114 and supporters marched and rallied here Oct. 5, marking two and a half years since silver miners at the Lucky Friday mine went out on strike against Hecla Mining???

California sheet metal workers end strike, cite gains
STOCKTON, Calif. ??? After 26 days on strike, workers voted Oct. 1 to approve a new contract with Simpson Strong-Tie, a maker of metal parts used in the building and construction industries. Three hundred and nineteen workers at the plant???

Albany nurses fight for union contract, against short staffing
ALBANY, N.Y. ??? ???What do we want? Contract! When do we want it? Now!??? chanted hundreds of nurses and their supporters outside Albany Medical Center here Sept. 25.?? ???We nurses love to take care of our patients but, at this???

In Teamster battles, ???Workers learned to fight as a class???
The following excerpt is from Teamster Power, by Farrell Dobbs, one of Pathfinder???s Books of the Month for October. The title is about how members of Teamsters Local 574 learned to wield the union power forged through three 1934 strike???

In This Issue

Front Page Articles ???UAW strike against GM is battle for all workers
???Halt Ankara???s assault against the Kurds in north Syria!
???Liberals push impeachment, target is the working class
???Join 9-week drive to win readers to ???Militant,??? revolutionary books
???Hong Kong ban on masks can???t stop struggle for political rights
???SWP: Working people can make gains ???when we stand and fight???

Feature Articles ???Youth throng Manila book fair for literature, culture, politics

Also In This Issue ???Titles by SWP leaders attract interest at Paris Fete
???Contribute to SWP Party-Building Fund!
??????The stewardship of land and labor falls to the working class???
???Iraqi protests demand jobs, end to Tehran intervention
???African conference advances solidarity with Cuba
???Montreal rally: End ban on wearing religious symbols
???Independent truckers protest new gov???t regulations

On the Picket Line ???Idaho miners??? rally marks two-and-a-half-year walkout
???California sheet metal workers end strike, cite gains
???Albany nurses fight for union contract, against short staffing

Books of the Month ???In Teamster battles, ???Workers learned to fight as a class???

25, 50 and 75 years ago

Letters

?? Copyright 2019 The Militant?? -?? 306 W. 37th Street, 13th floor -?? New York, NY 10018?? -?? themilitant@xxxxxxx

Cookies

This site uses cookies to improve your experience. Learn more.

Okay, thank

--

---

Albert Einstein
???Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth.???
???  Albert Einstein