[blind-democracy] Re: Gun Industry Executives Say Mass Shootings Are Good for Business

  • From: Carl Jarvis <carjar82@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2015 19:46:21 -0800

You never know, Miriam. Your wish could come true if enough of us
anti gun folk stay out of the line of fire, and all the gun lovers
shoot themselves into the Here After.
The Second Amendment did intend to assure the right for people to arm
themselves in order to protect their towns and fields from intruders
like rustlers and bands of roving Indians.
But the drafters of the Constitution and the Amendments, were living
in a very different world. Muskets were clumsy and had to be muzzle
loaded, one shot at a time. And the early rifles were about as heavy
and inaccurate. Still, most farmers and trappers kept a musket or two
around to drive off predators.
But I've never heard of musket packing bandits robbing folks on their
way home from the saloon, or giving vent to their anger by shooting
wildly into a crowded restaurant.
As to that old tired argument that crooks will always find a way to
get a gun, while the honest citizen has no defense, we should point
out that regulations seem to be effective in safe guarding citizens in
other areas. We all have the right to own a car. But there are
strict regulations in place that help prevent people from doing stupid
things with their car, and placing themselves and others in danger.
We have the right to own our home, if we can afford one, but there are
regulations that protect us from being sold poorly constructed houses.
In fact, these and other regulations keep down the numbers of crooks,
and provide a safer environment for us to enjoy. Why shouldn't we
expect gun regulations to work as well as in other areas?

Carl Jarvis

On 12/4/15, Miriam Vieni <miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If I could write the gun laws, I'd forbid the sale of guns to everyone
unless they had an acceptable reason for wanting to own a gun, attended a
course in gun safety and the ethics of gun use, and then went through a
licensing process. The second amendment had to do with citizen militias,
not
an individual's right to own a gun for self defense. I think the kinds of
gun control measures that politicians are proposing are useless, aside from
laws that prohibit the sale of semi automatic guns and the transport of
guns
from one state to another. Those two measures might help some. But
basically, we have to prevent people from being able to acquire guns. And
like most of the other changes that I would like to see in our laws and
economic system, my wish for gun legislation will never come to pass.