[blind-democracy] Re: Grammar in brief, present simple and present continuous

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Bob <ebob824@xxxxxxxxx>, "Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org
  • Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2017 21:52:19 -0400

As I was reading your grammar lesson I was wondering what the point of it was, but I do note that you explained that at the end. I would say that you have a pretty good grasp of the point you were discussing and it does sound like you are a good deal more qualified to teach English to Arabic speakers than my high school Spanish teacher was qualified to teach Spanish. I noticed something else too. During your grammar lesson you did not use the proliferation of rare words that you usually use. Then as soon as you finished the grammar lesson you started using them again. As I told you before, those are perfectly good words and I think most of them deserve more usage than they usually get. But they are rare in the English language for a reason. That is, they tend to convey some very subtle connotations and it is not that often that the connotations are called for. So they are not used very often. As much as your English has improved and as good as your English is you do not seem to have sufficient command of the language to be aware of those connotations. That means that you don't use them just quite right. Then, you use so many of them with most or all of them being not used just quite right that it is a bit difficult to understand. Try using more common words for now. And let me suggest a way that might help you learn the subtle connotations of the words in question. Try Googling them, not in phrases, just alone. Then read passages of text in which they are used by native speakers. Don't settle for just one or a few examples. Read many passages in which they appear until you get a sense of which contexts they fit in best. Once you get the feel of how they are used then you can try using them yourself when it is actually appropriate. I think you will find that you will use them rarely yourself and when you write something fairly long you will probably have only one or two in what you write and they will make much more sense that way.
On 10/31/2017 12:15 AM, Bob wrote:

Hello everyone. Today, I would like to talk about present simple and present continuous. First, what is present simple and what we would use it for? Basically, present simple tense is used to talk about facts and habitual acts. The following examples are for present simple to state basic facts. I work in Washington. I live in Michigan. I am twenty years old. The first two examples are composed of the subject, the base form of the verb, the preposition (in) and ultimately, the object noun. The third example is composed of the subject, the auxiliary verb (am) and the second clause that substitutes the object noun. As for the secondary usage of present simple, it is to talk about habitual acts. The following examples are destined to demonstrate how so. I play soccer on Saturdays. Alison reads one book each month. Note, if the verb comes after a proper noun or object pronouns, it must take an S. The following examples are destined to demonstrate how so. First, for stating a fact. Alison bikes to work. She lives in Utah. Alison runs every morning. Next, for habitual acts. She plays Squash on Tuesdays. He plays the piano on Sunday morning. Moreover, we may use the present simple to disappointedly report a longly remaining situation. Presumably, it is opprobrious.  So for instance, the United States suffers from a relentless gun crisis. That is my humble knowledge of the present simple tense. Certainly, corrections are commendable. As for present continuous, it is used to talk about something that occurs   at the moment of speaking. I am reading a book. The present continuous is composed of two basic elements, the verb to be in addition to the present participle  of the main verb. To present participle, we add a geraint. So, it is formed as such, I am listening to the radio. I am texting a friend. So, what else could we use the present continuous for? We may use it to talk about something that takes place for a certain period. So for instance, she is going to college in Toronto. I am looking for a rent in California. Furthermore, we may use the present continuous to talk about future arrangements. I am graduating next year. They are getting married next autumn. I am seeing Dan tomorrow. Jason is having breakfast with Wilson next Saturday. Donald Trump is departing soon. The latter was rather a prediction.  This message aims to demonstrate my grammatical knowledge. I sent this out to native speakers to consult them. Am I sufficiently competent to help someone with his elementary English learning? I thought I could teach English but, I somewhat backed off. I am not sure if I am expeditiously competent for this. I studied various curricula of Arabic language at the university.  Thence, I could teach this properly. But as for English, I am really not sure. I wish I expressed my message in a perspicuous manner. Now as for the inauspicious circumstances in oval office, it is time for this overbearingly prideful empire to infinitely expire. The United States has to deeply apologise to the world for stubbornly leading it to the wrong direction. The world is not a toy at your hand. The world is free, without your decree. It is farther to mere political correctness. I hope the last statement is fairly fathomed. The claim that your perspective of everything is absolutely perfect is demonstratively fallacious. It couldn't be any further from the truth. Thank you, Bob