[blind-democracy] Re: Go Ahead, Back Hillary Clinton and Forget All About Her Record

  • From: Carl Jarvis <carjar82@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 11:21:00 -0700

As I've said before, I really appreciate the wide variety of posts on
this List. But then, I'm looking for mental stimulation, articles and
opinions not easily found in other corners.
I accept that none of us are experts in the subjects we discuss or the
issues we raise concerns over. But a topic is worth posting if it
stimulates the mental juices.
While I appreciate Roger's focus on proper use of language, I will
most likely continue to be loose with my own language. I spent too
many years crafting exact language in order to protect the "integrity"
of the agency I worked for. What a waste!
But I do think there is a broader lesson in this discussion of word
meanings. We have evolved into a People who can't clearly express
ourselves. We've been so conditioned to vague or misleading meanings
that we spew words on words without going anywhere. We turn on our TV
or iPods and receive general platitudes, promises of no real meaning.
Politicians who blabber at us with words that make our happy juices
bubble. Later we wonder what the Hell we had been fed. Madison
Avenue has bent over backward to create a language of confusion.
But all of us are effected to some degree. So all we can do is to ask
one another what we really meant when we said, "Middle class
Americans..." or stuff like that.
I agree that we do need to work toward a more exacting language, but
not at the expense of feeling free to express ourselves.
My personal feeling is that the Ruling Class has devised a "consumers
language", and that they actually have a different language that they
use among themselves.

Carl Jarvis

On 10/11/15, Miriam Vieni <miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I don't think I'm as clueless as you think I am. But I'm not as exacting in
my language as you are. I used the word "average" when perhaps I should
have
said "typical". But I haven't done a scientific study on what people on
Long
Island think. I was giving my impression or being anecdotal.
As for people whom I know, I don't know many people these days. But the
people whom I do come across, tend to be politically far to the right of
where I am. If I look back over my life, I'd say that, that has been true
of
most of the people I've known. I think your email included some sort of
accusations about my associations or political consciousness or some such
thing. I'm probably guilty of whatever it was you were thinking .

When I was working, I had some adoption clients who were truly extremely
wealthy; a hedge fund guy, (I'm not sure if he owned the hedge fund or was
manager), but he owned a yacht which he and his wife were using for a trip
around the world. When he became ill, he had to take a break from the trip,
but he had the yacht on call with its full crew and staff, waiting for him
to recover although he wasn't sure how long the recovery would take. There
was the President of what was then Time Life Corporation, the magnet of a
publishing empire, and a bit down the ladder, a successful film star. I've
seen where these people live and as part of my work, I've seen
documentation
of their finances. So I know what real wealth and luxury looks like. I'm
telling you this because I want to describe the attitudes of a resident of
my apartment building . I live in an apartment building which was poorly
constructed and completed in 2006. It has a lobby with a marble floor, a
desk with a security guard, an exercise room, a library, and a meeting
room,
as well as indoor parking. It also has an unattractive outdoor swimming
pool
for the residents' use in the warm weather. As I said, it was poorly
constructed, and has all kinds of problems. The apartments are condominiums
which means that we have a board composed of residents and that there are
periodic meetings where residents discuss and vote on issues. I remember
how, at one of these meetings, an angry resident complained that we should
not have to be dealing with all of the expenses for repairs because we were
living in a luxury apartment building and had paid a lot for our apartments
and were paying for services. Now, having seen what a real luxury apartment
building looks like, and knowing what kinds of money is actually involved
in
living in such a building, I wanted to just laugh at that man. But he truly
believed what he was saying. I could certainly identify with his anger at
the builder who had done such a bad job at constructing the building that
we
were left with all these expenses for repairs after only a few short years.
But he had been fooled into thinking he had moved into a really high class
building because of the way the lobby looks. This self importance that
people seem to feel, is something that they've been taught by Corporate
America. It makes them good consumers.

I agree that the term, "middle class", is inaccurate. But it is used
constantly by politicians and journalists, on TV, on the radio, etc. I
suspect that the term, "working class", isn't used because somehow, it has
become to some people, to seem like an insult. But the term, "working
people", is used by politicians who are left of center. And I think Obama
has used the term, "hard working people". I had believed that you rejected
the term, middle class, because it was not one of the classes mentioned in
Marxist theory and because its meaning is vague. It is true that in the
instance I described, the woman used it to differentiate herself from poor
people. She also differentiated herself from wealthy people. She used it to
express her feeling of being victimized. As you have described, people can
use the term in the service of their own personal needs. People don't
necessarily use language objectively. That's why politicians can so easily
manipulate the public with coded meanings. However, not everyone who
defines
himself as middle class is doing it as a put down to other people. The
woman
whom I described, did see herself as superior to poor people, but that
isn't
how or why she used the term. The woman who you described who wanted to
leave the church before the homeless people arrived, sounds to me like what
she was expressing was fear, not a feeling of superiority. Perhaps she had
never had contact with homeless people and believed all the negative things
that are said about them. Perhaps all she needed was to hear someone say,
"There's nothing to worry about. They're just like everyone else. Why don't
you stay and meet them?"

I don't know what kind of social worker would tell a client that he or she
is middle class. That's certainly not part of social work education. It
sounds like it was an inexperienced case aide. But I have come across
various blind staff members of agencies for the blind who made sure that
their blind clients knew who was sitting on which side of the desk. social
worker claim middle class stt

As for professions, I think the definition is usually limited to work that
requires academic degrees. You mentioned brick laying. To me, that is a
highly skilled craft, but not a profession. But these are semantic
differences. The label shouldn't be related to the amount of respect owed
the individual for the work he is doing.

You wrote about class consciousness. When my children were attending
school,
I was very involved in the school community here, so I knew a lot of black
people. Class consciousness among them depended on their economic and
educational level. The less affluent were more class aware. However, racial
issues seemed to take precedence for everyone across all economic and
educational lines. We were also involved with the teachers' union here. The
teachers were focused on education issues and on their own financial
issues.