[blind-democracy] FW: Stand With Sanders: No US Ground Troops in Syria

  • From: Miriam Vieni <miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 18:16:00 -0400

_____

From: info=justforeignpolicy.org@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:info=justforeignpolicy.org@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Just
Foreign Policy
Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2015 5:27 PM
To: miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Stand With Sanders: No US Ground Troops in Syria

<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Y6GSpixigvYxmp87H4ekk%2BfEq84Y
9ZcS> Just Foreign Policy

Dear Miriam,

Tell Congress: No to US ground troops in Syria, including to establish
so-called "safe zones."

Take
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=BUHWiFtibYcuKhwgZAJ6XOfEq84Y9Z
cS> Action

Everybody is against sending US ground troops to Syria, right? That's what
Hillary Clinton told Bernie Sanders in the first Democratic presidential
debate. But her statement was deceptive, because she has joined calls for
the US to establish so-called "safe zones" in Syria. The commander of
Centcom has testified to the Senate that "safe zones" means "ground troops."

Urge Congress and the Administration to oppose the use of US ground troops
in Syria, including to establish so-called "safe zones," by signing our
petition at MoveOn:

<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Sh4osXhoQv5a%2F3zSWMo96%2BfEq8
4Y9ZcS>
http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/act/stand-with-Sanders-no-US-ground-troops-
Syria

During the first Democratic presidential debate, the following exchange took
place between Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders regarding U.S. policy in
Syria: [1]

CLINTON: . And, to - provide safe zones so that people are not going to have
to be flooding out of Syria at the rate they are.

SANDERS: Well, let's understand that when we talk about Syria, you're
talking about a quagmire in a quagmire. You're talking about groups of
people trying to overthrow Assad, other groups of people fighting ISIS.
You're talking about people who are fighting ISIS using their guns to
overthrow Assad, and vice versa. I'm the former chairman of the Senate
Veterans Committee, and in that capacity I learned a very powerful lesson
about the cost of war, and I will do everything that I can to make sure that
the United States does not get involved in another quagmire like we did in
Iraq, the worst foreign policy blunder in the history of this country. We
should be putting together a coalition of Arab countries who should be
leading the effort. We should be supportive, but I do not support American
ground troops in Syria.

CLINTON: ...Well, nobody does. Nobody does, Senator Sanders.

Hillary Clinton's response was deceptive, because as she surely knows, for
the US to establish "safe zones" in Syria would require the use of US ground
troops, as Gen. Lloyd Austin, commander of U.S. Centcom, has testified to
the Senate Armed Services Committee. [2]

Urge Congress and the Administration to oppose any use of US ground troops
in Syria, including to establish so-called "safe zones," by signing and
sharing our petition:

http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/act/stand-with-Sanders-no-US-ground-troops-
Syria
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=arrqPok8%2BA1k8R6ln9zMbZMi0hg1
Pi5H>

Thanks for all you do to help prevent, end, and limit wars,

Robert Naiman and Avram Reisman
Just Foreign Policy

Help support our work by making a $15 tax-deductible donation.
If you like what we do, help fund us. Make a $15 tax-deductible donation
today!
http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/donate
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=b3gUborxuojVOUe23fUGFefEq84Y9Z
cS>