[blind-democracy] Exasperation

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: blind-democracy <blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 10:29:51 -0400

Just dropping by to blow off some steam because I am feeling exasperated again. I seem to feel exasperated a lot and this story explains why.     Here is a part of a conversation I had yesterday with a relative. She says, "I think China sent that coreena virus to us on purpose." In case you think I am misspelling the word corona I am only spelling it the way she pronounced it. I say, "Why do you think that?" She says, "I heard that it came from the communist part of China." Feeling my exasperation rising again, I say, "Which part of China is that?"n She says, "I heard that it came from Woohoo. That must be the communist part of China." I say, "Why do you think they sent it on purpose?" She says, "Because they're communists." I say, "Why would communists want to do that?" She says, "Because communists want everyone to die." I say, "Why do you think that?" She sighs and says, "Do you even know what a communist is?" At this point I am tempted to say that, yes, I know what a communist is, but you don't have a clue what it is. Encountering ignorance does not bother me. It always offers an opportunity to teach something. What bothers me is, for one thing, the assumption that on a topic that has been one of my special interests since I was a teenager and have devoted much time studying on my own and have participated in with a lot of time invested with other people who shared my perspective on the subject, that I am the one who does not know what he is talking about. And furthermore, I have explained what communism is to her time and time again and it appears that everything I have ever said about it just went in one ear and out the other. Usually when I explain it as soon as I finish talking she starts telling me about some recipe that she tried or something similar. That should be a clue that I was not being listened to. Her statements this time, though, showed ignorance on a number of levels and rather than just repeat things I have told her so many times before I decided to inform her of some other things that I have not spent so much time on. I tried to explain something about the geography of China and the political situation there. I also explained that it did not make much sense that they would have unleashed the virus on purpose when they were the ones who were first effected and strongly effected at that. When I paused she started telling me about the personal life of someone she knows, but whom I have never met and am uninterested. That is, she made it clear to me that I may as well have been talking to passing clouds. Do you see why I spend so much time feeling exasperated? As I was typing this I was reminded of another incident that happened way  back when I was in college that was similarly exasperating. Bear in mind that when this happened I was majoring in biology, but I really don't think anyone needs to have studied biology to understand what I was trying to say. I was working in the cataloguing department of the school library in the work-study program. There were some secretaries there who saw some birds hopping around on the lawn. It was a cold winter day too. As they were looking out the window one of them started cooing about how they were going to have babies. I looked too and saw what they were referring to. The other secretaries agreed with the assessment that the birds were pregnant. I explained to them that they were seeing the effect of the low temperature. The birds were fluffing up their feathers to trap air and to give themselves some insulation. That is, they were trying to keep warm. To this day I don't know why I didn't mention anything about birds laying eggs, but it just didn't occur to me at the time. Nevertheless, a bird's pregnancy takes place outside of the bird's body and they do not show signs of an impending hatching. What do I get in reply to my explanation? I am told,"We're women so we know about things like that." Again, the assumption was that I was the one who did not know what he was talking about. I calmly said, "Did you know that I am a biology major?" The reply was, "That's some kind of science, isn't it? Doesn't it have something to do with flowers?" Again, just some steam release about having to go through life feeling exasperated with people.    --

___
Thomas Paine
“One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.”
― Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason