[blind-democracy] Re: Donald Trump

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, MARY CONVY <CCRUSER@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 21:46:47 -0400

Chaucer was not the only one. Let's not call it the F word either. The word is fuck. And I will ask what is so inappropriate about it? I am not saying that it is not used inappropriately. It's common use as an expletive might be considered inappropriate. Its usage as a verb meaning to cheat someone might also be inappropriate. I say that because the more meanings a word has the less it really means at all. Multiple meanings makes it a vague word. However, I would not call the word fuck inappropriate in itself. The word originated in a Germanic language that evolved into the English language and I think its original meaning was to strike. I don't know how it transformed into a word denoting sexual acts from that origin, but any meaning it had in relation to striking anything is obsolete anyway. But no one considered it an inappropriate word either before or after that transformation. What made it unrespectable was the Norman conquest in 1066. Before that time the people of England were known as the Anglo-Saxons and were descendants of a previous conquest about 500 years before when they were separate ethnicities, the Angles and the Saxons. By the time of the Norman conquest, though, they were speaking a single language known as Anglo-Saxonish or Old English. Old English was a rather monosyllabic language. Then the Normans crossed the English Channel and conquered the Anglo-Saxons and immediately proceeded to try their best to wipe out Anglo-Saxon culture, including the language. Surviving records show that the normans had particular contempt for the speech of the Anglo-Saxons. William - also known as William the conquerer - wrote himself that their speech sounded like the barking of dogs. Well, the Normans were ultimately unable to wipe out Old English, but they had a profound effect on it. They usshered in a new language known as Middle English. Interestingly enough, the Normandish language did not survive except in the effects that it had on the English language. The Normandish language was a descendant of Latin and very closely related to French and in contrast to Old English it was more polysyllabic. Everything about the Anglo-Saxons was held in contempt and words referring to body parts or functions seemed to gain special contempt. You can just about identify which words had an Anglo-Saxon origin and which had a Latin origin based on the number of syllables and how respectable they are. You have the Old English arse, later devolving into ass and the Latin originated buttocks. You have the Old English shit and the Latin originated defecate. You have snot versus mucous. You have fuck and copulate. You have piss and urinate. You have fart and flatulate. The list goes on. It even extends to words that are not particularly unrespectabble. Isn't canine thought of as a bit more sophisticated than dog? The Norman conquest still effects the British style of English in other ways. The accents of the British upper class reflects its Norman origins and the less respectable accents like Cockney are reflections of Anglo-Saxon origins. So when you denigrate Anglo-Saxon monosyllables you are essentially denigrating the English people of before 1066 and showing support for their conquerers. I see nothing wrong with using the language of an oppressed people.
On 10/23/2017 8:25 AM, MARY CONVY wrote:

Bob,  Since you are a lover of words but complain about Americans' use of the F word, remember Chaucer used it liberally in his writing, now esteemed as classic literature.