[blind-democracy] Re: Confronting Southern 'Victimhood'

  • From: Miriam Vieni <miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2015 08:56:57 -0400

Robert Perry lives in Arlington Virginia and he's been trying to get them to
change the name of Jefferson Davis Highway for years now, to no avail. And,
the South Carolina legislature is still waiting for enough votes to take the
flag down from the State Building. For as long as I've been alive, there has
been a conspiracy of silence about why the Southern Cause is commemorated,
the plantation houses made tourist attractions, the Confederate Flag treated
with reverence. It has all been romanticized in films, in novels. From the
point of view of black people whose ancestors were enslaved and who are
still treated as second class citizens, it is all certainly evil, as are the
people who promoted it.