[blind-democracy] Cognition

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: blind-democracy <blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2017 08:39:40 -0400

As I type it is just after 8:00 AM and I will not be checking my email until this afternoon, but I wanted to note a coincidence. I am currently reading a biology textbook I downloaded from Learning Ally. It is nearly 1400 pages long and has a playing time of 141 hours and 23 minutes. I have only been reading it since July 14, but it is beginning to feel like I have been reading it for years by now. It is apparently a first year textbook and I do have a biology degree, but I was awarded that degree back in 1978 and never got a job in my field. So I am definitely learning from it, both because advances have been made in the field and because I have forgotten so much. Even when I am reading parts that I have not forgotten it is very much like a nostalgia trip. Anyway, just yesterday I was explaining to Mustafa what constitutes the human personality and what happens to it upon death. It just happens that I spent two hours on this book this morning before logging onto the computer and quit at page 1075 and the subject that was being covered for the last twenty pages or so was the physical basis of cognition. I can't repeat here all that it said, but it was a fascinating discussion of the structure of the cerebral cortex and of which parts perform which functions. It also went into the interactions of neurons with each other and how the neurotransmitters facilitate the storage of memory and process emotions and how external stimuli are processed by the cerebral cortex. There was no mention of any kind of supernatural soul, immortal or otherwise. It is very interesting how human consciousness is being explained without any recourse to supernatural claims. But I suppose that Mustafa will deny it all despite the mountains of experimentations and observations that have been made over the years that have been well documented in volumes that now make up entire libraries. All of this is so complex and provides such a profound sense of wonder that it baffles me that anyone would want to deny it in favor of completely unsupported claims.