[blind-democracy] Re: Can we prove we are sane?

  • From: Alice Dampman Humel <alicedh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2015 23:49:53 -0400

Miriam,
what you describe is not a minute of silent reflection, it is inflicted
Christian prayer and that sucks. That’s not what I am talking about at all.
But you are correct, and the Kim Davises and icke Huckabees and all the rest of
them want to make it into exactly what you describe. It is hideous and
scarring.
How many children have been brainwashed with this ultra right wing Christian
dogma to their detriment? The schools should be an antidote to this…and this is
precisely why the ultra Ortodox of every religion want to homeschool their
children, to keep them from that particular form of brainwashing. The fact that
they simple exchange one form of brain washing for another is lost on them.

On Sep 9, 2015, at 10:14 PM, Miriam Vieni <miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My father told me that this is a Christian country in response to a
complaint I was making about prayers in school. I attended a public school.
In class each morning, we had to fold our hands and say a silent prayer. In
assembly each week, a bible psalm was read and we sang Christian hymns. I
bitterly resented the bible reading and Christian hymns. But I also resented
the silent prayer each day. We didn't pray in my home and prayer meant, as
far as I knew and from what I'd been told, either asking God for something
or thanking Him for something. I hadn't made any decision about God yet. But
the silent prayer felt like an intrusion. And I knew that I was Jewish and
that I shouldn't have to sing Christian hymns if I didn't want to. And I'd
already been exposed to forced religious observance at Camp Wapanaki, which
should have been a secular camp for blind children, but certainly wasn't.
Well, Dr. Framton, who owned the New York Institute for the Blind and Camp
Wapanaki was, if I remember correctly, a minister. So on Sundays, everyone
who wanted to go to church was driven into town to do so. But if you didn't
attend church, attendance at the camp's Christian service was mandatory.
Well, it was until 1951, I believe. And it was much worse than my school
assembly. So given that history, I would prefer to leave all of that study
of various religious texts and moments for silent reflection, out of the
public school day. I would prefer that parents who want their children to
learn, at a tender age, about the world religions and to have the experience
of silent reflection or spiritual growth or whatever, arrange for them to
have such experiences away from public school.

Miriam

________________________________

From: blind-democracy-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: blind-democracy-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: blind-democracy-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:blind-democracy-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Charles
Krugman (Redacted sender "ckrugman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
for DMARC)
Sent: Tuesday, September 08, 2015 3:38 PM
To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
National
Federation of the Blind Sued for Religious
Discrimination by EEOC

and the stupidity award goes to the National
Federation of the
Blind! I wonder whether the NFB membership will be
apprized of this.
Chuck