[blind-democracy] Re: Can we prove we are sane?

  • From: "R. E. Driscoll Sr" <llocsirdsr@xxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 10:25:53 -0500

Frank:
Thanks for the suggestion. However, I am too old for such strenuous activities. I never claimed to be seeking 'fair and balanced' only opinions.
R. E. (Dick) Driscoll, Sr.

On 9/11/2015 10:13 PM, Frank Ventura wrote:

Dick, if it is fair and balanced you seek … stick to watching porn.

Frank

From:blind-democracy-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:blind-democracy-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

From:blind-democracy-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:blind-democracy-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

[mailto:blind-democracy-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Alice

Dampman

Humel

Sent: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 11:50 PM

To:blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Miriam,

what you describe is not a minute of silent reflection, it is

inflicted

Christian prayer and that sucks. That's not what I am talking about

at all.

But you are correct, and the Kim Davises and icke Huckabees and all

the rest

of them want to make it into exactly what you describe. It is

hideous and

scarring.

How many children have been brainwashed with this ultra right wing

Christian

dogma to their detriment? The schools should be an antidote to

this.and this

is precisely why the ultra Ortodox of every religion want to

homeschool

their children, to keep them from that particular form of

brainwashing. The

fact that they simple exchange one form of brain washing for another

is lost

on them.

On Sep 9, 2015, at 10:14 PM, Miriam Vieni

<miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> <mailto:miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<mailto:miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> <mailto:miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My father told me that this is a Christian country in response to a

complaint I was making about prayers in school. I attended a public

school.

In class each morning, we had to fold our hands and say a silent

prayer. In

assembly each week, a bible psalm was read and we sang Christian

hymns. I

bitterly resented the bible reading and Christian hymns. But I also

resented

the silent prayer each day. We didn't pray in my home and prayer

meant, as

far as I knew and from what I'd been told, either asking God for

something

or thanking Him for something. I hadn't made any decision about God

yet. But

the silent prayer felt like an intrusion. And I knew that I was

Jewish and

that I shouldn't have to sing Christian hymns if I didn't want to.

And I'd

already been exposed to forced religious observance at Camp

Wapanaki, which

should have been a secular camp for blind children, but certainly

wasn't.

Well, Dr. Framton, who owned the New York Institute for the Blind

and Camp

Wapanaki was, if I remember correctly, a minister. So on Sundays,

everyone

who wanted to go to church was driven into town to do so. But if you

didn't

attend church, attendance at the camp's Christian service was

mandatory.

Well, it was until 1951, I believe. And it was much worse than my

school

assembly. So given that history, I would prefer to leave all of that

study

of various religious texts and moments for silent reflection, out of

the

public school day. I would prefer that parents who want their

children to

learn, at a tender age, about the world religions and to have the

experience

of silent reflection or spiritual growth or whatever, arrange for

them to

have such experiences away from public school.

Miriam

________________________________

From:blind-democracy-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sent: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 8:04 PM

To:blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Miriam,

Culturally, you are correct, the US, just like most of the western

hemisphere, is Christian, much as the Middle East is Muslim, India

is Hindu,

Japan is Shinto, and so on, although many of those examples do

indeed allow

religious law to enter into and even govern civil law. Every region

has a

dominant religion, again, if not theologically, then at least

culturally. I

disagree about the silent minute at the start of a school day. It is

supposed to be exactly that, a minute of nothing, of silence, as I

said, for

each person to fill with whatever thoughts he wishes, not

necessarily

prayers. If that is monkeyed with, there will be plenty of people

ready to

fight back, and that is good.

I know exactly what yur father meant. But this is what we must fight

against, as if there aren't a million other things to fight against.

This is

a wholesale hijacking of the very laudable concept of religious

freedom, a

concept that should, yeah, right, should obviate religious

persecution or

prejudice in this country. If you live in Williamsburg, the one in

Brooklyn,

not Virginia, then there is not too much feeling or evidence of that

Christian nation the evangelicals want to make you think is national

in

scope. If you live in east Armpit, Indiana, then yes, indeed, the

Christian

climate will predominate.

In Idaho and Utah, if you're not a Mormon, you are a second class

citizen, a

dismissed minority.

And your father was probably right on the other matter too.although

I'd say

it sort of relative to many things.

Alice

On Sep 9, 2015, at 3:29 PM, Miriam Vieni<miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<mailto:miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

<mailto:miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> <mailto:miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

My father, who dropped out of school after eighth grade and who, by

the way,

snuck into this country illegally at age 14, told me two things

while I was

growing up that I'll always remember. 1. Be wary of anyone whose

opinions or

actions are extreme. 2. Whatever people say, this is really a

Christian

nation. I suspect he was correct in both statements. IF they bring

back

those, "silent", periods to school, mark my words, they will quickly

be

filled with Christian prayers. There won't be verses from the

Koran,or any

alterntnative religious utterances, aside from, perhaps something

from the

old testament to give lip service to Judaism. Just like whatever we

call the

celebrations around December 25th, Winter Solstace or holiday

parties, we

all know that they're Christmas parties and we get Christmas off,

not the

day of the winter solstace. And, to remind you of our long and

heated debate

of several years ago, it is a Christmas tree on the White House

lawn,

whatever the historical and cultural origins of a Christmas tree may

be. And

one of the reasons for the power of the Israel Lobby, is the very

strong

support that it gets from Evangelical Christians. Jews had very

little power

in this country in the 30's and 40's when european Jews were being

slaughtered and Jewish organizations were begging the US to open its

borders

to German Jews. Israel's power increased because of cold war

politics. We

have this dream about what America is supposed to be and we become

confused

because people like President Obama, tell us that. we are who we are

supposed to be.

Miriam

________________________________

From:blind-democracy-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sent: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 2:23 PM

To:blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Cc: my blog carl jarvis

Well, that is the one point we may diverge on, Carl.I maintain that

not all

religious, devout, pious, call them what you will, people are stupid

and,

conversely, not all atheists, agnostics, are brilliant. There's some

of each

in each.

I maintain, believe what you want. Go about observing your

observances as

you choose.and if you choose a religion, then more than likely, that

choice

includes observing the way they observe, and if you don't, that's

between

you and your conscience, and you will decide how quiet you keep it.

I know

plenty of Jews who keep kosher homes, but use summer vacations or

trips to

restaurants to indulge in that bacon cheeseburger or the twin

lobster

special. I know plenty of observant Catholics who use birth control,

live

with their lovers, and so on.

I even find it interesting to discuss, to understand, to be informed

about

the religions of others, what they believe, what they do, why they

do it,

traditions, etc. But when it crosses the line into one religion or

representative of a religion trying to make me do what his religion

dictates, then I say no.

This crap about the United States being a Christian country is utter

crap.

We are supposed to be a nation of religious tolerance, anyone can

practice

his or her religion freely with no strictures imposed upon him by

the

government, unless it involves criminal acts like murder, child

abuse,

theft, whatever, although it seems that some religions manage to get

away

with criminal acts anyway, and no one will bother you. However, the

flip

side of that pertains as well, the religious can not impose his will

on the

rest of society which does not share his religious beliefs and

practices.

That's where it all breaks down for me.

Not a Christian nation, but a nation that allows the free exercise

of

religious observance by its citizens with no government

interference.

Removing the recitation of the Lord's prayer from public schools?

Yes.

Removing the moment of silence for each kid to reflect, pray,

daydream, plan

an insurrection or a lunchroom prank? Maybe not.having a little

quiet time

is not such a bad idea, united in quiet.

Taking the reading of the Bible out of the schools? Perhaps rather

add

alternate readings from other holy books as an exercise in cultural

diversification is maybe a better idea. One day, the Bible, one day

the

Baghavad Gita, one day the Koran, one day Buddha, etc. The world's

cultures

are full of references to these things, literary, artistic,

theatrical,

musical, and if we all grow up ignorant of the reference points, we

lose

much of the aesthetic richness of both our own cultural heritage,

flawed

though it may be, and also that of others.

I read something recently, it went something like this: If a person

who

sells a same-sex couple a wedding cake can claim he is then part of

the

marriage, how come the person who sells a killer a gun can't be said

to be

part of the murder?

alice

On Sep 9, 2015, at 1:34 PM, Carl Jarvis<carjar82@xxxxxxxxx>
<mailto:carjar82@xxxxxxxxx>

<mailto:carjar82@xxxxxxxxx> <mailto:carjar82@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Absolutely right, Alice. And you said it with far more control than

I. But

you see, the entire premise is built upon one lie after another.

I'll pass

over my contention that Man...Men, not Women invented God. Let's

say He

really is here...or out there...or up there. So now Mankind divides

into

groups, each waving a Holy Book handed down to them by God...or

whatever

name they call Him.

But anyway, the Europeans came bumping their ships against the big

piles of

land that stood between them and the Spice Center of the world. And

there

were strange Beings wandering about this huge Land.

And suddenly the Europeans God, both Catholic and the many

Protestant

denominations, called out to them saying, "It is good! This is your

Promised Land. Build my temples and worship me forever".

And so it came to pass that the Europeans claimed the Land in the

name

of...no, not in the name of God, but in the name of the Kings of the

several

nations involved in this Land Grab. Oh sure, they had banners with

crosses

on them. They built churches and temples and went forth each Sunday

Morning

to Worship God and thank Him for sharing of His bountiful wealth.

But

little of what God shared went back to God.

It

mostly went back to the Kings living far across the ocean. So

moving right

along, after butchering and raping and enslaving all the folks who

had

believed they were entitled to live here, the Europeans grabbed and

fought

among themselves. Finally a bunch of rascals, the equivalent to

today's

Terrorists, kicked the King of England out of the Land and took

over.

And even at that, later on this new nation split and fought among

its own

States over the right of men to own other men and women and little

children.

And when that war was over the Industrialist went back to enslaving

the

common people by forcing them to work six and seven days a week,

twelve to

fourteen hours per day, for barely enough to pay for the rent and

food sold

to them by their Bosses.

And here's the real joke. People today would have us believe that

this

nation, these United States of America, is a Christian nation.

And we call ourselves intelligent?

Carl Jarvis

On 9/9/15, Alice Dampman Humel<alicedh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
<mailto:alicedh@xxxxxxxxxxx>

<mailto:alicedh@xxxxxxxxxxx> <mailto:alicedh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

and this is precisely what they have no right to do.they are free to

not

have abortions, to not use burt control, to not have homosexual

relationships, to not shop on whatever holy day their religion binds

them

to, to close their own business on that day if they own a business,

whatever. But they have no right to impose any of that on the rest

of us if

the law says differently, the secularly defined law, not a religious

one.

and this is what I don't quite understand why there's not more

objection,

louder opposition to, this imposition of somebody else's religious

laws on

others. Kim Davis doesn't believe in gay marriage? Fine.

Then she should

not enter into one. But part of her job is to issue marriage

licenses, and

if the law permits gays to marry, or a man to marry a sheep, or a

woman to

marry a tree, then it is up to her to issue the license whether she

likes

the choice of spouse or not.again, to trot out everyone's favorite

yardstick: what if she, in 2015, even in Kentucky, refused to issue

marriage license to an interracial couple? It's not for her to

impose her

religious views on others, and if she can't overcome herself to

uphold civil

law, then she should find another job.

Alice

On Sep 9, 2015, at 10:58 AM, Miriam Vieni

<miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> <mailto:miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> <mailto:miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> <mailto:miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

But they've been imposing their will on us, they and the Catholic

Bishops.

No federal funds for abortion. And that Supreme Court decision last

year,

didn't that have to do with on the job medical insurance benefits

for birth

control? And all those state regulations that have eliminated

abortion

clinics and added on requirements for women before they can get

their

abortions?

Miriam

________________________________

From:blind-democracy-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sent: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 9:25 AM

To:blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Subject: [blind-democracy] Re: Fwd: [act-chat] Oops!

National Federation

of

the Blind Sued for Religious Discrimination by EEOC

Abdulah and all,

I get so furious every time I hear yet another story about this

sniveling

sack of shit Kim Davis and all her brainwashed evangelical cohorts

and

supporters, including the odious Mike Huckabee.

They keep yapping about how their religious freedom is being taken

away.

And

no one contradicts them, no one seems to have the balls to say to

them, "You

have no idea what the concept of religious freedom even means. You

have no

idea whatsoever what it means to have no religious freedom. You are

free to

unobstructed and unchallenged practice any religion you choose,

complete

with whatever demands it makes of you, to comply with all the dicta

attached

to that religion, from the standard denominations of the world's

religions,

even the wacko sects of those religions, right down to

pastafarianism.

What

you are not permitted to do is impose those beliefs and their

restrictions

on others. We do not live in a theocracy. We are under no obligation

observe any religion's laws if we ourselves do not subscribe to that

religion. And you can't make us, no matter how hard you try to

shoehorn the

concept of religious freedom into this form of tyranny, right up

there with

fascism of the worst order. The lack of religious freedom means that

you

will be thrown in jail for mouthing off about your wacko beliefs

and/or

practicing them. When that happens, then we'll talk about how

Christians are

being persecuted and you right wing evangelicals are being deprived

of your

religious freedom. Bullshit. So until then, shut up and go away."

Something like that.think I"m ready for prime time yet? :) Alice

On Sep 9, 2015, at 3:22 AM, abdulah aga

<abdulahhasic@xxxxxxxxxxx> <mailto:abdulahhasic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
<mailto:abdulahhasic@xxxxxxxxxxx> <mailto:abdulahhasic@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi

Hmmmm So it means that USA as capitalism People like more religion

then

money?,

So Saudi Arabia we know is religion country,

but they are work even Fridays,

in Saudi Arabia is Fridays weekend,

So I don't know then what start going on in USA with

people:

Maybe they are want to make all USA as Vatican? or what?.

Abdulah Hasic.

-----Original Message----- From: Frank Ventura

Sent: Tuesday, September 08, 2015 11:57 PM

To:blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

National

Federation of the Blind Sued for Religious Discrimination by EEOC

I wonder what would happen if people refused to work on religious

days for

Walmart, somehow I dount the EEOC would have the guts to go after

Wallyworld.

Federation of the Blind Sued for Religious Discrimination by EEOC

Hi

I don't know where this lead us?

When people start use religion to much as esquse for something then

is not

good:

other word that esquse lead us in Couse or some type of mess,

I know how looks like and I past true all this things

So I would like ask smart NFB why they are didn't do sem thinks in

my case

with TX comition for the blind?

I would like ask smart NFB what would bee hempen if Muslim people

say we

don't work Fridays, because of are religion?

From:blind-democracy-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:blind-democracy-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

[mailto:blind-democracy-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Charles

Krugman