[blind-democracy] Re: Bernie Sanders Takes His Populism to the Red States and Draws Huge Crowd

  • From: Miriam Vieni <miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 17:14:45 -0400

What I'm trying to say is that people do not use language precisely in the
same way that you do. And they see the world through an emotional lens. And
politicians understand that. When politicians talk about the middle class
more than about working people, it's because they know that a majority of
Americans see themselves as middle class. Whether people's definitions of
themselves are academically correct is beside the point. They will vote
based on their perceptions of who they are and what their best interests
are. If a politician or a community organizer is trying to reach them, it is
counterproductive to insist that they are working class if they refuse to
accept that self definition. The analogy is the true story of the social
worker at I H B who called a new client who had been recently classified as
legally blind in order to tell him about the services for which he was now
eligible. She began by introducing herself and telling him that he was now
classified as blind by the Commission for the Blind and she wanted to tell
him about how IHB could be of help to him. I was in the next office to her's
and I heard her side of the phone convrsation which was something like this.
"Yes Mr. Jones, you are blind. That's why we have your name. Well, perhaps
you can see a little but, nevertheless you are blind. Well, your doctor says
that you are. Look, if your doctor says that you are blind then you are.
Yes, you are so..." etc.

From: blind-democracy-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx