[blind-democracy] Ben Carson, Bigot

  • From: Miriam Vieni <miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 22:41:53 -0400

I'm particularly atuned to what Coates writes here because I'm currently
reading Operation Troy by NYT reporter Scott Shane. The book is about the
American Muslim whom Obama assasinated with a drone a few years back,.
Jeremy Scahill also wrote about this case in Dirty Wars. But Shane's book
is even more detailed. The book is too complicated to write about but what
is clear from it is the same point that Coates makes heere. Christianity is
complex, interpreted and practised differently by different people and so is
Islam. By the way, Operation Troy is on Bookshare.
Miriam

Coates writes: "Christianity has repeatedly been employed to sanctify our
most shameful acts. One might counter that Christianity has also been
employed to inspire our most honorable acts. But this is a level of
complexity that Carson's ilk do not grant to Islam."

Republican presidential hopeful Ben Carson. (photo: Cliff Owen/Corbis)

Ben Carson, Bigot
By Ta-Nehisi Coates, The Atlantic
24 September 15

Yesterday presidential candidate Ben Carson was asked if he could ever
support a Muslim president. Carson, channeling a significant portion of the
American electorate, said that he "would not advocate that we put a Muslim
in charge of this nation." This proclamation is presently receiving the
rebuke that it deserves, though it could stand for even more, if only
because of its ugly sanctimony.
Ben Carson is a Christian-a fact he shares in common with all our greatest
domestic terrorists and self-styled Indian-killers. From slave-holding to
ethnic cleansing, Christianity has repeatedly been employed to sanctify our
most shameful acts. One might counter that Christianity has also been
employed to inspire our most honorable acts. But this is a level of
complexity that Carson's ilk do not grant to Islam. To Carson, Islam is
terror and nothing else.
Christians, fully conscious of their own pedigree, need not completely
renounce their faith, nor repudiate their scripture. (If a man seeks to
plunder you, Dr. Seuss will suffice for showing cause.) But you would think
a wise Christian would be more humble. Carson is neither humble nor wise.
Carson is a bigot playing to a base that considers bigotry to be a feature,
not a bug.
Error! Hyperlink reference not valid. Error! Hyperlink reference not valid.

Republican presidential hopeful Ben Carson. (photo: Cliff Owen/Corbis)
http://www.theatlantic.com/notes/2015/09/ben-carson-bigot/406390/http://www.
http://e-max.it/posizionamento-siti-web/socialize
http://e-max.it/posizionamento-siti-web/socialize