[blind-democracy] Re: 'Art is incompatible with lies, hypocrisy and conformity'

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2016 20:26:41 -0500

Joe, you go on entirely too long for me to respond to everything, but I think a lot of it is exactly that kind of thing I have been calling vagueness. But let me touch on three points. First, I have seen pictures of those cave paintings before I lost my eyesight too. They depicted things that the people who created them would have been familiar with. As for why they created them, there are a lot of speculations, but it is just completely unknown. It could have been an attempt to invoke magic. It could have been a part of initiation rituals. Those are just a couple of the speculations, but no one actually knows. Second, the origin of poetry apparently was in the practice of record keeping in preliterate society. If an event or piece of history was considered worth keeping it had to be memorized and often a particular member of the community was assigned as the memorizer. He often had a very large amount of memorization to do and it so happens that it is easier to remember something if it is in the form of rhyme and recited in a sing song way with rhythm and meter. That is, poetry was invented for clarity, but has now turned into just the opposite. Third, what is universal truth?
On 1/8/2016 8:37 PM, joe harcz Comcast wrote:

Most well said. Yet, ironically, and in my studied opinion art does by its nature and definition, as elusive as it is; or at least good art strives towards some universal truths, or at very least universal, or universally accepted common perceptions, emotions, and glimpses, or often in indescribable things, except (smile on face) through the very media we are writing about.
I'm sort of being playful with all here including you Dear Alice who knows more about music and other art forms than I'll ever even aspire to know.
And I'm not being condescending here, or being self-diminishing either....
Well maybe I'll take a stepp back in that you know much more than I do by more than a long shot about music and two dimensional art. But I'll take a sort of stance on Shakespearean drama, and for that matter the forms of the "Tudor Era"...Not to mention a blind writer, John Milton.... Or for that matter modrn day movies and there art and impliccations from Casablanca through Judgement at Nurenberg through Spartacus through 2001 a Space Oddysy and more...But nonetheless all were meant for the masses at the time and forever.
So is all of art including so-called great art for again it all is about the struggle to touch the face of the gods, or rather, and more importantly, including for heathens like myself, to touch the godlikeness within ourselves.
Ok Roger I invoked the spiritual here. In fact I'm an avowed agnostic and a total humanist. Now, the literal thing is what it is. But, think about the concept only portrayed in the works of DaVinci, Beethoven, Bach, Shakespeare, and then again, in the hands and minds and countless actions of others distilled over millennia in various art forms as expressions of what? Creativity sir! Creativity!!!
Think about it. We, I, and you are the creator! And if one definition of God or godlikeness is being creator than god is art and man is god and art is god and back again it goes in the bargain.
This is not meant to be a sort of mental, spiritual, or metaphysical gymnastics. This ain't no disco. This ain't no hula hoop contest. God is real in the creative urge expressed in art, or at least that is my, most totally subjective definition of god, again of god is defined as to be creator, or creativity. And why is that notion even for an agnostic so badly defined? I think it is not so sir! Thus art is the struggle to create and to express creation and creativity itself.
Really art in part is expression. In part it is struggle. In part and both combined it is to leave a sort of hand print upon our common cave dwelling for the future to ponder and to make our mark upon the land. And yes, in part it is a struggle to surpass, or transcend the muddled, often strife-filled and struggling moments of pure existence on this here ole mortal coil.
Come what may and beyond any of our pure and, yet totally inadequate definitions, good art, and, indeed bad art for that matter will survive us all. For our beings are quite limited bodily and temporally speaking...In fact our days are quite numbered. Thus another definition of art is some sort of medium that leaves even the most of obscure messages for the future generations in a variety of media; or at least that might have been the earliest notion of it all.
In the caves of France are the most preserved notions of art as we know it, as well as depictions of life in general at the time.
There are celebrations of nature observed. There are notions of the hunt. There are depictions of nature in all of its forms. All quite practical by the way especially for a hunting and gathering society....
But there is more. There is symbolism that goes well beyond the practical day to day stuff.
There is a whole lot more. I cannot and nor will not explain to you for that would be fruitless and as we are both blind I cannot ask you to look at it either.
But before I lost my sight, and you'll just have to take my word, or not on all of this, I saw something in those cave paintings, and in other works of even two dimensional art.
I saw what some might call god, but I call the god-likeness of us all. I saw creation. I saw creativity. I saw invention and re-invention. I saw struggle to derive reality from mystery, and yet, the notion that expression of mystery itself was pretty awesome, if not aw-filled.
I saw the black-heart of man and the warmth of a women's breast all converting on wings of doves with eagle beaks appearing through the fangs of wolves and all riding upon rainbows in tempest, swelterring and melting skies above the advent of civilization in the coming in to being of what it was like to be a human and, long, long, very long before there was anything remotely called a sentence, let alone, my comrades, my brothers and sisters, something called a run-on sentence such as this. And now for poetry, for it was just because of the common notion that more words were better than fewer ones that poetry was invented in the first place being the best thing short (pun most well-intended) of that very notion of fewer words are better than none or lesser words, or things of such matters. Thus to use a metaphor poetry is prosed distilled. Great poetry iis the words distilled from the best of the wines of prose. It is the differance between cognac, or fine brandy distilled from fine wine and rot gut sugar distilled white lighting. Both will take one upon a certain journey to somewhere. But anyone who has savorred the flavor, romance and distinction of the former over the latter can comprehend the expodential differances on those paths to the sublimitidy of it all and the distinctions in the differance. And one need not be a sort of snob to know the differances either.
Now I could ramble on further but my point is made.
Well sort of. NOw I have a broken CD player or, rather several of them. So I cannot attempt to touch the face of god with music tonight.
I cannot look upon the two-dimensional art that touched me in such "god-like" ways in my youth. Though I close my eyes and pretend to see these things including by the way Goya, Picasso, Rembrandt, Monet, Vander Goes, Bosch, Breugal, and so many others that have touched me, and which by the way I don't totally understand....
Oh, Roger you might note that one of my favorites was also Rivera who still has his murals in the Detroit Art Museum and who still was a Trotsky loyalist when indeed Trotsky was killed in 1940 in Mexico while with Rivera. And you might wish to read a great novel called "lecuna" by Barbara Kingsolver about that era, and yet more than the literal story about the visceral experiences of people struggling with things in that era which, after all else transcends the literal experience and, indeed the era itself; another hallmark of art.
I cannot literally go back and forth in time and space or dimension. But, I can do so through art in various forms and understanding.
When I was young I could journey to the center of the earth with Jules Verne. I could battle with pirates with Robert Louis Stevenson. I could become a slave liberator and a likable scamp albeit with an abusive fater inthe Tales ofHuckleberry Finn. By the way ole Huck and his pal Tom Sawyer gave me an early and most healthy disposition against authoritarianism and authority itself for that matter and for its own sake and thus was a most healthy, and universal truth that led to humanistic, and skeptical leanings.
And again I was impressed with the ancient two-dimensional art forms I saw as well as paintings aplenty which moved me even without interpreters for what they meant, or tried to mean. That by the way included religious art which I saw daily in church and school, and which was often grotesque, and sometimes beautiful but true art, including religiously "inspired" or whatever related art always tried to transcend and tried to struggle for beauty and truth; and at very least, once again showed the god-likeness, for lack of a better term in the creative struggle of expression for the mere sake of creativity itself which I will call, again for the lack of any better term (an one I'm coing myself right here and now btw) as the "god germ" that resides in me and, I think all of us.
Now, brothers and sisters this ramble goes to this: I call "god" with a small "d" creativity itself. That is my definition and term like it or not. It is not religious though it might be spiritual, or a metaphysical sort of definition. And what of it? It is my definition. I "created" it! Well, not exactly for others invented the language to describe my creation and my creativity. I guess I'm just playing with the thing for a moment in this bubble of an ever expanding universe ...You know the one that scientist tell us is expanding and stretching and moving ever closer, after several billion more years towards its ultimate demise? Yea that universe....
And where will Twain, or Tolstoy, or Shakespeare, let alone DaVinci, or Goya or Bach, let alone Dylan be then? For that matter when the god-likenesses such as these disappear when the universe disappears where in the flying fuck will be "god"?
Where will be truth, beauty and other things such as these extolled, and indeed, made as and by art be?
I know not these answers for I am not god. I glimpse the questions and some sort of temporal responses in what I call the creative impulse and expressions of art inthe hands and eyes and minds of humans.
These are the best approximations I can come up with to explain not only we exist, which mundane science can do but attempting, albeit totally inadequately, just why we exist.
In fact I go here now to my journalistic roots. I can usually discern the who, what, when, where and how of things.
But, art....well art is the best thing that I can try to discern as to the "why" of it all especially after we all discover that religion has failed in that pursuit which was its reason for existence after all.
I'm writing this without morbidity in mind and not with an ounce of soul-killing insincerity or cynicism, but rather with the playful dance of recognition of our, and my fragilities, mortalities, and the playfulness of the likes of Twain, or Shakespeare, or Vonnegut, just to name a few in one medium.
"mon man. "We're all bozos on this bus". And we are all beings fumbling towards ecstasy. When the nighttime comes and even before, when nightmares appear in aour minds, and before our very eyes in the daylight we must remember that we are the creator and the creation and are best expressed in this apparent dichotomy through what some call art.

    From: blind-democracy-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:blind-democracy-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    From: blind-democracy-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:blind-democracy-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    From: blind-democracy-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:blind-democracy-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    From: blind-democracy-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:blind-democracy-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    Sent: Sunday, January 03, 2016 10:26 PM
    To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    Subject: [blind-democracy] Re: 'Art is incompatible with
    lies,
    hypocrisy and
    conformity'

    That does not make sense. There is a piece of sculpture in
    front of
    the
    library in my town. I saw it many times before I lost my
    eyesight
    and I can
    see that it is what most everyone would call art. It is a
    rock that
    has been
    sculpted into a pattern, but it is not a representation of
    anything
    real
    like a statue would be. The pattern is clear, though, and it
    is an
    example
    of art. Can I agree with it? I don't see how anyone could
    either
    agree or
    disagree with it. It is just a carved piece of rock. It is
    not
    expressing an
    opinion nor is it making a statement that is factual or
    false. It
    just is.
    There is nothing about it that tries to persuade anyone of
    anything,
    so I
    don't see how it could be propaganda even if someone could
    figure
    out a way
    to disagree with it.
    On 1/3/2016 10:34 AM, Frank Ventura wrote:

    When you agree with something it is art, when you
    don't its
    propaganda.

    From: blind-democracy-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:blind-democracy-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    From: blind-democracy-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:blind-democracy-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    From: blind-democracy-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:blind-democracy-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    [ <mailto:blind-democracy-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    mailto:blind-democracy-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Miriam

    Vieni

    Sent: Saturday, January 02, 2016 1:55 PM
    To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    with lies,

    hypocrisy and

    conformity'

    Roger,

    I'll start with your last point. I don't remember
    that scene in The

    Grapes

    of Wrath. To me, the art of the book is in the way
    that he tells the

    story

    of what happens to the family. The book communicates
    on two levels:
    the
    intellectual one, i.e. what it was like for this
    family when they

    had to

    leave their farm and travel west, looking for work,
    at a time when

    everyone

    else was also leaving the Dust Bowl and traveling
    west. And it

    communicates

    on an emotional level. I felt terrible for the
    family, for what they

    had to

    go through, for what was happening to them. For me,
    one of the most

    moving

    passages is when they're in a barn and no one has
    anything to eat,

    and they

    encounter a stranger there who is hungrier than they
    are. I won't

    tell you

    what happens because maybe you'll decide to read the
    book.

    Now, as to symbolism. I don't get it either. But I
    will tell you

    that there

    are a lot of wonderful books that are art because of
    how effectively

    they

    communicate to the reader, and I don't pay attention
    to the opinions

    of

    critics or literature professors when I make that
    judgement. I know

    that a

    book is really good because of my reading experience
    and my own

    assessment

    of the writing.  Also, there are times when I can
    tell that a book

    is

    written very well, that it is fine literature, but I
    don't enjoy it

    and I

    stop reading it. However, I don't assume that
    because I don't like

    the book,

    it's worthless. I've learned that there are
    limitations to my

    ability to

    appreciate certain kinds of literature. I've heard
    interviews with

    authors

    and it turns out that often, the authors did not
    have all of the

    symbolism

    in mind that the interviewers and other self styled
    experts,

    attribute to

    their books.

    Last but not least, poetry. There are all different
    kinds of poetry.
    Poetry
    is not always symbolic. Some of it is very literal.
    Some of it is

    funny. I

    have never, however, chosen of my own volition, to
    read a book of

    poetry.

    But I read a very long poem in high school which I
    loved, and I

    haven't

    looked at it since. I think that, perhaps, you might
    appreciate it

    if you

    can find it. It is, "The People, Yes" by Carl
    Sandberg. See if you

    can find

    it and read it. It is not flowery or symbolic. If I
    remember

    correctly from

    so many years ago, it should be right up your alley.
    By the way,

    did you

    ever have to read The Illiad in high school or
    college? It is the

    story of

    Ulysises' long trip home from the Peloponesian Wars
    and it is in

    verse.

    There's another one, I think about Helen of Troy.

    Miriam

    Bailey (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
    Sent: Saturday, January 02, 2016 4:11 PM
    To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    with lies,

    hypocrisy and

    conformity'

    I suppose I could include poetry as art. Like I
    said, art is

    characterized

    by patterns that are imparted to it by the artist
    and in all the

    meters and

    rhymes poetry does have patterns. As a means of
    communication,

    though, it is

    terrible. As I understand poetry it is virtually
    required for it to

    be good

    poetry for it to be filled with symbolism and then
    it is supposed to

    be

    better poetry if the symbolism is represented by
    more symbolism and

    that the

    more layers of symbolism the better the poetry is.
    This sounds like

    a word

    puzzle and if it was a word puzzle it would have
    more legitimacy. I

    used to

    enjoy working crossword puzzles and acrostics. I
    have even in the

    past

    bought entire puzzle magazines full of word puzzles
    and logic

    problems. It

    can be a fun pastime. However, another thing I have
    always heard

    about

    poetry is that anyone's interpretation is just as
    good as another

    person's

    interpretation. That removes all the rules from the
    puzzle and

    renders it

    not a puzzle at all. If your solution to the puzzle
    is correct no

    matter

    what it is then you have not solved anything and you
    may as well

    just make

    up interpretations. I could spend all day making up
    interpretations

    and I

    would not even have to read the poem. I could skip
    the poem entirely

    and

    just write up an interpretation for a poem that I
    had no idea of

    what was in

    it and my interpretation would be as good as that of
    anyone who

    carefully

    read it. But if the author has anything to actually
    say then he or

    she is

    defeating him or herself. If you hide what you have
    to say behind a

    lot of

    symbolism then you have not communicated. I remember
    being in an

    English

    class once and we were studying a unit on poetry and
    I was

    expressing some

    of these same views.
    I was saying that if you have something to say then
    what is the

    problem with

    just coming out and saying it instead of engaging in
    deliberate
    obscurantism. The teacher decided to try a bit of
    comparing to show

    some

    advantage to poetry. She read a line of poetry. I
    forget now how it

    was

    worded, but she then translated it into straight
    prose saying how

    would this

    sound. The translation was, the ship came over the
    horizon. My

    response was,

    it wasn't worth saying in the first place. I really
    was not

    intending to be

    funny, but the classroom burst into laughter.
    Anyway, if some people enjoy poetry for the patterns
    like they do a
    painting, a sculpture or a piece of music then that
    is okay. Those

    forms of

    art don't do a lot of communicating either. And, in
    fact, in certain

    forms I

    can enjoy poetry too. A song is a poem accompanied
    by music and, in

    fact, in

    a song the human voice can be regarded as another
    instrument

    contributing to

    the patterns that make music art. There are
    certainly songs that I

    like. In

    that sense I enjoy poetry. But I have still noticed
    that when you

    strip a

    song of its music and just read the words straight
    forward as you

    would read

    a poem songs are simplistic nonsense.
    They really do not convey much meaning. So, insofar
    as anyone claims

    that a

    poem is communicating some profound message I think
    they are

    deluded.

    As for prose literature being art, like I have said,
    when I have

    read

    fiction that has been identified as art I usually
    find myself

    reading

    something else that is obscurantist. This is the
    kind of fiction

    that wins

    awards and I suspect that it is because it is full
    of symbolism

    again and

    deliberately filling something up with symbolism
    serves no real

    purpose but

    to make it hard to understand. You used The Grapes
    of Wrath as an

    example. I

    will have to admit that I have never read that one.
    It is famous

    enough that

    I have an idea of what it is about and I think it
    might be something

    that I

    might like to read, but I have just never gotten
    around to it. I did

    read a

    fairly long excerpt though. I was reading an
    anthology of nature

    writing and

    the scene from The Grapes of Wrath describing the
    turtle crossing

    the road

    was included. I remember when I was in high school
    there was a

    fellow

    student exclaiming about how John Steinbeck could
    write about a

    turtle

    crossing  a road and make it interesting. It took me
    decades before

    finally got around to reading that scene, though,
    and it was because

    it was

    a part of that nature writing anthology. It was
    interesting if only

    mildly

    interesting to me. It struck me as a straight
    forward narrative

    though. If

    there was any hidden symbolism in it I did not
    detect it and I did

    not look

    for it. Insofar as I found it interesting it was
    because it was a

    straight

    forward narrative. If it had been written in a way
    such that it had

    been

    hard to understand I would not have found it
    interesting. So I ask,

    did you

    find that part of the novel to be art and if you did
    what about it

    made it

    art? Bearing in mind that I have not read the rest
    of the book, but

    do have

    an idea of what it is about, what made the book as a
    whole art?

    On 1/2/2016 9:55 AM, Miriam Vieni wrote:

    I think that this is, you should excuse the
    expression, your

    blind spot.

    Certainly, literature is categorized as art and
    certainly,

    poetry is art.

    Although you and I may not appreciate poetry, very
    many

    intelligent

    and sophisticated, and not so sophisticated people
    do. There

    are all

    kinds of poetry, some easier for me to understand
    than

    others. Whole

    stories have been told in verse like the famous
    Greek ones

    and

    Evangeline or, The People, Yes. As for fiction not
    being

    informative

    or being poor fiction if it is, that is a very
    debateable

    opinion.

    John Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath is a wonderful
    novel. It's

    art. And

    it was written to inform about what was happening to

    midwestern farm

    families during the Depression.

    Miriam

    Bailey (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
    Sent: Friday, January 01, 2016 11:40 PM
    To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    with

    lies,

    hypocrisy and conformity'

    I don't discount it. I suppose you can learn
    something from

    any book.

    The difference is that in fiction the learning is

    incidental. The main

    purpose of a work of fiction is to entertain.
    Insofar as a

    work of

    fiction tries to teach rather than entertain it
    becomes poor

    writing

    and the more it strives to educate the poorer the
    writing

    becomes. If

    your intention is to be entertained you read a novel
    and if

    you are

    lucky you just might learn something along the way.
    If your

    intention

    is to learn something you do not go to a work of
    fiction. As

    for

    fiction being art, I have heard that many times and
    I think

    it is

    loose use of the word art. However the books that
    are most

    frequently

    called works of art are the ones that it is hard to
    read.
    Poetry is
    frequently called art and it strikes me as a
    deliberate

    effort to

    obscure and to make it hard for the reader to
    understand.
    The prose
    that is called art suffers from the same kind of
    thing. It

    tends to be

    dense, to make little sense and to be less than
    entertaining

    to myself

    at

    least.

    On 1/1/2016 11:02 PM, Miriam Vieni wrote:

    Many people would disagree with you about writing

    not being art.

    Probably most of the books that I read aren't art,

    but great

    literature

    surely is.

    And don't discount the information about real life

    that appears in

    novels.

    I've read pieces of fiction and pieces of non

    fiction that told me

    precisely the same things about certain issues. But

    film has

    certainly been used very effectively, as has also

    video on TV and now

    the internet, to influence people's point of view.
    Often, it works
    better than words because people respond immediately

    and emotionally

    to what they see and they don't have to read or try

    to comprehend a

    spoken argument. I suspect that Trump is as

    successful as he is

    because he uses few words to create images in

    people's heads, like

    Mexican rapists or Muslims celebrating on 9/11.
    People aren't
    persuaded by his

    arguments. They just envision what he says.

    Miriam

    From: blind-democracy-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

    Sent: Friday, January 01, 2016 3:18 PM
    To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    Subject: [blind-democracy] Re: 'Art is

    incompatible with lies,

    hypocrisy and conformity'

    My comments were made in response to Miriam

    who said that she didn't

    know what art is, so I explained what it is,

    basically patterns of

    just about anything. I forgot to mention

    something else, though. She

    also said that art was used as propaganda. I

    don't think that is true.

    Propaganda is an argument intended to

    persuade someone of something.

    As an attempt to persuade propaganda is

    usually written as an essay

    with evidence to back up the main argument.
    It is usually explained
    by contrasting it to agitation. That is, to

    put is simply,

    propaganda makes a lot of points for a few

    people and agitation

    makes one or a very few points to be

    distributed to many people.

    Rather than get involved in explaining that

    in greater detail just

    try to think of the

    implications of that simplistic way of putting it.

    With that in mind, though, art is not really

    either agitation nor

    propaganda. It is reinforcement. Bear in

    mind what I have already

    said about how one's taste in art - that is,

    one's affinity for

    patterns of patterns - is acquired. That

    shows that by the time a

    person has fixed on a particular genre of

    art the person is already

    persuaded of the ideology or other milieu of

    thinking that the genre

    of art is identified with. By indulging in

    appreciating the art one

    is persistently reminded of what one has

    already been persuaded of.

    That is, one is reinforced. Think of

    medieval European art. It is

    almost all religious art. But can you really

    imagine anyone who has

    not already been indoctrinated in the

    religion being persuaded by

    looking at the art? It neither persuades as

    it would if it was

    propaganda nor does

    it compel one to take action as it would if it was

    agitation.

    On 1/1/2016 2:49 PM, Carl Jarvis wrote:

    Very interesting, Roger.
    All I can say is that I am so very

    glad that I was born long,

    long
    before Heavy Metal.
    Actually, my brother-in-law, who
    just turned 65, immerses himself
    in Heavy Metal.  I never criticize

    others choices in music, but

    I'll get down with Benny Goodman or

    Ella Fitzgerald.  Cathy leans

    toward the pop music of the 60's and

    70's, and leaves the room if I

    stay with the 40's too long.  As you

    said, it's what we grew up on.

    There is no, "Better" nor is there,

    "Worse".  In music appreciation

    it is that which is pleasing to the

    ear of the listener.

    Carl Jarvis

    On 1/1/16, Roger Loran Bailey
    <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Art is pattern. This includes visual

    and audio art, also known as

    music.

    I suppose it might also apply to the

    other three senses, but it is

    harder to create something in a
    pattern for touch, taste and
    smell, even though some chefs do
    consider themselves to be
    artists. In visual art a pattern of

    colors, lines or whatever is

    created that the structure of our

    brains happen to find pleasing.

    In the case of music it is a pattern

    of sound. These patterns can

    be highly variable to the point of

    near infinitude, so there are

    also patterns of

    patterns.

    The patterns of patterns that are

    found to be pleasurable vary

    from culture to culture and may vary

    from subculture to subculture

    and from individual to individual. I

    have personally observed that

    the favored patterns of patterns
    seem to be imprinted on people
    when they are in the age range of

    about fourteen to eighteen.

    That
    is, once one is exposed to a certain

    genre of music or school of

    visual art while in that age range

    it becomes what one favors for

    life. In my case, for example, I
    became interested in heavy metal
    rock at that age. I think it had
    something to do with both what I
    was being exposed to and the
    subcultures with which I was
    identifying at the time. For years

    now I have paid very little

    attention to music at all, but if I

    do hear various samples of

    music in my daily life I perk up and

    notice and like it if I

    happen to

    hear some heavy metal.

    I have certain ideas of visual art

    that I like and had imprinted

    on me at the same time too. I favor

    the kind of art that used to

    appear on the covers of fantasy
    paperback novels. I say used to
    because I know things like that
    change over time and I have not
    seen the cover of a paperback book

    for many years now. In general

    I prefer more abstract art than
    realistic art. Of course, I am
    talking about personal preference,

    but I have noticed that most

    everyone's personal preferences were

    formed at about the same time

    in life and had something to do with

    not only what they were

    exposed to, but to what subcultural

    milieu they identified with.

    On a worldwide basis few people
    really like the art and music from
    another part of the world, but they

    are often attracted to it as

    an exotic novelty. The main point of

    art, though, is that it must

    be patterned. If you hear sound
    without pattern it is called noise.
    If you see something visually with

    no pattern it is called a

    mess.
    And even though a lot of people like

    sophisticated art - that is,

    art with highly complex patterns -

    if the patterns become too

    complex to the point that the
    pattern cannot be discerned quickly
    then it is rejected as art and
    called noise or a mess. I think I
    have seen that tendency even when

    the pattern is not overly

    complex, but just alien. For
    example, I have ever so often heard
    the music that I favor called noise.
    What I think is going on is
    that the person who says that is not

    used to it and so

    does not detect the patterns immediately.
    The patterns are too
    complex to be picked out immediately when

    hearing something that to

    them is

    unusual.

    An alien music that is simple might