[blind-democracy] Re: And one more thing: The dentist and the dead lion

  • From: Miriam Vieni <miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 11:37:31 -0400

I've been reading the new book by Munia Abu Jamal. You remember that he is
the black Philadelphia journalist who was framed for killing a whie police
officer and condemned to death, was on death row for years and years, and
eventually, after a great deal of work on the part of his supporters, was
resentenced to life in prison. He has been writing and doing radio pieces on
Prison Radio since the 80's, and this book is a collection of what he's
written up through 2014. The first few pieces are thoughts about his own
case. But the rest is commentary on events as they occur. Carl, I know you
must have heard him on Democracy Now many times so you remember how
intelligent and articulate he is. His material is thoughtful and perceptive.
It seems that all of the people whom I have encountered since I began having
time to do all of this reading in 2007, all of them who are independent and
caring, come to similar conclusions about where we are in this world and
where we appear to be heading. And people like Munia Abu Jamal, Chris
Hedges, and Noam Chomsky have so much information in their heads. They are
highly educated and the education comes from their own efforts and openness
to facts and ideas.

From: "Joseph HH - Avaaz.org" <avaaz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 11:22:21 -0400
Subject: Re: The dentist and the dead lion
To: "carjar82@xxxxxxxxx" <carjar82@xxxxxxxxx>

Dear friends,

A 13-year old lion named Cecil was just lured from a park in Zimbabwe
where he lived under legal protection, shot with a crossbow and
rifle, then beheaded and skinned. The hunter who paid over $50,000
for the kill is a dentist from Minnesota.

Experts say lions could be extinct in the wild in our lifetime, and
the US is partly to blame. The number of lion trophies imported by
American hunters has skyrocketed, doubling between 1999 and 2008, and
there are no sanctions in the US for hunters like the dentist who
killed Cecil, because lions aren't listed under the Endangered
Species Act despite a recent government recommendation.

Right now, the Fish and Wildlife Service is considering a petition to
list lions as endangered, and a massive outcry from across the
country could speed up the process and start saving lions now. Sign
now and recruit others to join on Facebook, Twitter, and everywhere
else:

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/us_list_endangered_african_lions_b/?blJLi
bb&v=62
544

Can you imagine the African savannah completely devoid of lions? It's
a depressing thought, but defending lions like Cecil also isn't even
just about altruism; Cecil was a major tourist attraction at Hwange
National Park, and a few days of his photo being taken by tourists
was more lucrative for Zimbabwe than the one-off price paid for his
head.
Countless other tourism jobs across southern and East Africa depend
on the existence of these incredible animals.

Listing the African lion under the Endangered Species Act wouldn't
immediately create a ban on American hunters traveling to Africa to
hunt lions, but it would establish a stringent new permitting
process, whereby any hunting could only happen in closely monitored
programs that also support lion conservation. It's the first step
toward any real, ambitious plan to save the world's lions, and
frankly it's outrageous that it hasn't happened already.

It's past time we respond to this dramatic scenario with dramatic
action, starting by listing lions as endangered. If everybody also
finds one friend to join them, we can double the strength of our
demand. Sign here and let's make sure Cecil's death wasn't in vain:

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/us_list_endangered_african_lions_b/?blJLi
bb&v=62
544

Scientists warn that we're living in an era known as the sixth
extinction, an acceleration of habitat and species loss from
urbanization, climate change, and aggressive hunting. Large mammals
like lions are some of the most vulnerable; their rates of
reproduction lag far behind the rate they're being hunted and
poached.
But our movement is accelerating too, and every day Avaaz members
worldwide are propelling hopeful and ambitious policies forward to
build the world we love, a world where African lions continue to
roam.

With roaring hope,

Joseph, Rewan, Mia, Andrew and the whole Avaaz team

More information:

Cecil the lion's killer revealed as American dentist
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/zimbab
we/1176 7119/Cecil-the-lions-killer-revealed-as-American-dentist.html

Zimbabwe's 'iconic' lion Cecil killed by hunter
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-33674087

African Lions Face Extinction by 2050, Could Gain Endangered Species
Act Protection
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/extinction-countdown/african-lion
s-face-
extinction-by-2050-could-gain-endangered-species-act-protection/

African lion (U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service)
http://www.fws.gov/endangered/what-we-do/african_lion.html

Scientists Warn 'Sixth Extinction' May Be Underway
http://time.com/3929419/scientists-sixth-extinction
Avaaz.org is a 41-million-person global campaign network that works
to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape
global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many
languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team
is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17
languages.
Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here:
http://www.avaaz.org/en/highlights.php/?footer";> or follow us on
facebook
here: http://www.facebook.com/Avaaz or twitter here:
http://twitter.com/AvaazThis message was sent to carjar82@xxxxxxxxx.
To change your email address, language, or other information, contact
us
here: http://www.avaaz.org/en/contact/?footerWant to leave this list?
Send
https://secure.avaaz.org/act/?r=unsub&cl=8110036077&email=carjar82@gm
ail.com
&v=62544&lang=enTo
contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to
us via the form at http://www.avaaz.org/en/contact. You can also call
us at
+1-888-922-8229 (US).

Ah yes, the wonderfully soft, luxuriant mink coat of bygone years.
Was it Queen for a Day where the winner received a ten thousand dollar
fur coat? Maybe some other give away early TV program. But when I
stroked the super soft fur on Missus Arnold's mink stole and oohed and
aahed, mother later told me how many little mink gave their lives so
Missus Arnold could strut her stuff. And yet, even proclaiming such
slaughter to be barbarian, I went about my life without much thought
regarding the cruel treatment these, and other little helpless
animals, underwent in order to bring pleasure to Human Superior.
Right now, this very morning, I deleted about ten or twelve cries for
help in saving everything from wolves to trees to the air we breathe
and the water that is running down to a trickle. I'm sympathetic and
stretch my meager energies and resources as best I can, but it's not
nearly enough. Too many of us are on a very slow learning curve. A
major part of it is having to first undo all that our society has
built in. My attitudes toward Gays. My unrealized, unspokan
prejudices toward Blacks, Asians, Indians, and yes, even toward women.
I had to accept that I was a womanizer, and with that mind set it was
impossible to accept women as equals. All of it and more had been
dumped inside my head before I was old enough to begin sorting it out.
And I'm still in the process. At one place in my life I just gave up
and tried embracing Jesus Christ. For a very short time this solved
all my problems. Just take it to the Lord! In other words, go into
deep denial. All problems are dumped into God's perfect hands. Bull!
Once I realized it was me, down inside, that had to deal with what
went on inside my head, and no God was around to dump on, or lean on,
I began to make real progress.
It's hardf for me to believe that, as a born again Christian, I told
my church brothers and sisters, all White folk, that we should just
bomb the hell out of those Geeks and wipe Veit Nam off the face of the
map. That was how badly I had been damaged by our wonderful superior
american culture. And by the way, I feel no shame, no guilt over who
I was back then, any more than I will feel shame ten years from now
over what I have been today. Just so long as I am growing.