[blind-democracy] Re: A View From the South: Let the Confederate Flag Go

  • From: "Bob Hachey" <bhachey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2015 07:46:14 -0400

Hi Charlie,
I guess maybe I fall somewhere between yourself and Miriam on this one.
Comparatively speaking, America is a good place to live when measured
against much the rest of the world unless you are black or your income falls
below $30,000.00 per year. . I might have said this was a great place to
live 30 years ago, but the horrible income inequality that we have now taken
together with our seemingly constant state of war makes it impossible for me
to say that with a straight face. Being great is a tall order and America
falls far short of that order right now. IN a great nation, poverty and
homelessness are virtually nonexistent. In a great nation, police do not
harass citizens and residents due to skin color. Government is of the
people, by the people and for the people. In today's America, the word
people can accurately be replaced with the word wealthy. In a great nation,
wealth is not highly concentrated at the top end, ask Adam Smith. A great
nation chooses friends and allies based upon what is right and just.
Economic interest may play a role, but it should not be the deciding factor.
IN a great nation, businesses take a long run approach toward operations.
The citizens of a great nation have trouble sleeping at night if the poverty
rate increases.
IS that enough preaching for one day?
Bob Hachey