[blind-chess] Re: chess puzzle, reprinted. come on, give it a try ! it's fun.

  • From: "Chris C." <cchaffin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 02:20:12 -0400

Hi all,

Okay, here is my best guess to Michael's puzzle.
Very good puzzle Michael, feel free to give us another one sometime.
How is this Michael?

1. Ka3  Ra4+
2. Kb2  Ra2+
3. Kc1  Ra1+
4. Kd2  Ra2+
5. Ke1  Ra1+
6. Kf2  Ra2+
7. Kg3  Rg2+
8. Kf4  Rxg4+
9. Ke5  Rg5+
10. Kd4  Rg4+
11. Kc5  Rg5+
12. Kb4  Rg4+
13. Ka3  Ra4+
14. Rxa4++

How I came to my conclusion.
From what I can tell, to avoid stalemate, you must take the black rook and put black in check at the same time.
There is only three squares you can move to one time to put black in check.
Queen to a5
Queen or Rook to h8
Rook to a4, only after pawn on g4 is taken.

So what I looked at is how to move the white king so the black rook would be forced to land on one of these squares in order to keep the white king in check.
Not an easy task, but I hope my solution above meets Michaels approval.

Chris

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Allain" <shoodacooda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>