[blind-chess] Solution to Problem WAC088

  • From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "chess" <blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 08:49:35 -0700

Good Morning Puzzlers,

Better late than never, I finally am getting around to this problem.
Apparently this problem is from a Morphy "blindfold" game.

As usual Paul has given us a very complete analysis of the problem and I
encourage you to study it.  The section at the end covering "alarm bells" has
some very good advice.

Also as usual, my brief answer follows.

The best move is: 1... Rxg2+

Principle:
White is in trouble as black has a bishop, a rook and the queen all bearing
down on the nearly defenseless white king side.  Black should be looking for
attacking possibilities.  Since the g-pawn is pinned Qh3 or Bh3 may be
attractive threats, but there is an even stronger forcing move.
1. ... Rxg2+, forcing whites reply.
2. Kxg2 Qh3+, now forcing white into the open.
3. Kf2 Qh2+, black prevents escape and forces white out.
4. Kf3 Rf8+, and there is no escape!