[blind-chess] Solution to Problem WAC062

  • From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "chess" <blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 10:43:09 -0700

Hello Puzzlers,

Well, this was a very tricky problem to crack.  I apologize for getting this
out so slowly, but I have been going through Paul's commentary.  I encourage
everyone to read Paul's in depth analysis of this problem as there is a lot
going on here.  I also want to thank Rod for his help with the Fritz analysis
of the problem.  As usual, my brief comments follow.

The best move is: 1... Rxg3+

Principle:
Despite white's advanced pawns on d7 and e6, black has time to grab a pawn and
set a trap by offering a gift.
1... Rxg3+, wins a pawn and sets the trap.
If White takes the poison gift Rook:
2. hxg3 Qxg3+, and White can only move the King or block check.
If he moves:
3. Kh1 Qh3+, the noose tightens.
4. Rh2 Qxf1+, and tightens.
5. Qg1 Qxg1#, and its all over.
If white blocks the check:
2. rg2 rxg2+, with a queen behind, he simply takes the Rook.
3. Kh1 Rxh2+, whites moves are all forced.
4. Kxh2 Qg2#

White avoids the trap with:
2. Kh1