[blind-chess] Solution to Problem WAC030

  • From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "chess" <blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 07:57:32 -0700

Good Morning Puzzlers,

Keep in mind that the website for these problems only gives the single move
considered best without any following moves.  So the answer is just an opinion
of what happens next.  With Paul's expert analysis, I think we are getting a
more accurate look at what happens next though.

So you should read Paul's post on this problem and his discussion of why he
thinks the White A-Pawn is really on a3.

What follows here is my opinion of the book's intention.

The best move is: 1. Nxd6

Principle:
The pieces protecting the D-Pawn are overworked.
1. Nxd6 Nxd6
2. Qxc6 and White regains the piece and wins a Pawn or two.