[blind-chess] Re: Problem Layout Options

  • From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 08:05:58 -0700

Hi Shane,

I agree that the entire FEN string would be nice especially if you want to load the problem into a chess engine, but in most problems the only additional information available is who moves next. Sometimes the castling flag can be deduced manually, though. In another set of problems that I will start sending after the end game stuff is finished, I have the move flag and three "-" flags as place holders for the castle, half moves and such.

The reason I put each rank on a line is to make it easier to manually set up your board. Alvin requested that quite a while ago with respect to another issue and since I already did that, I graciously agreed. <smile>

Since FEN is covered in the PGN standard and that appears to be generally adopted, I will always produce FEN and may optionally produce some sort of algebraic setup notation. What I am looking for now is what sort of format our players want for that algebraic information. Then I will modify my Python script that generates the problem setup and all problems will be presented consistently. I am looking for what is the easiest to read via screen reader, screen enlarger and/or Braille display.

Richard

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shane W" <shane-blindchess@xxxxxx>