[blind-chess] Re: Chess Article #33 Pawn Structure Question on Study

  • From: Roderick Macdonald <rmacd@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 10:06:55 -1000 (HST)

Hi Lewis,

Pawn structure is a relatively advanced topic, true enough. Most "experts" recommend studying endgames first. Tactics are also important. It is also a good idea to study and become comfortable with a few basic openings from each side of the board. Finally, it is a great way to learn to play over master games with annotations explaining the reasons for the mvoes. (I'll try to come up with some of this soon.)

My next article will be a glossary of chess terms, which will include definitions of tactical concepts like the pin, fork, skewer, etc. I would suggest downloading this and keeping it available in an easily accessible form - in your word processor, for example.

Let's put it this way: You will never be World Chess Champion, and neither will I, but there is a heck of a lot of enjoyment between "here" and "there".

If you should think of possible specific areas for my "article hunt" don't be shy about suggesting them. I might have overlooked the pawn structure stuff if you hadn't suggested it.

Rod