[bksvol-discuss] Re: working in keyword format rather than .rtf

  • From: "Kellie Hartmann" <kellhart@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 12:13:07 -0500

Hi Jill,
Yes, fortunately there is a way to change the reading grade. It is very
possible to read an rtf file in Grade II, although you'll still have to do
the writing in computer braille. What you want to do is, from within the
file, hit the "Advance" and "Next" thumb keys at the same time. This
switches between preferred reading grade, six-dot computer braille, and
8-dot computer braille. If it's on preferred and you're still getting
computer braille go into the options menu and choose b for braille display
options. Then go through the options until you see "preferred reading grade"
then hit b for grade II. As for the files being eaten, this is a nasty
problem that PDI keeps saying they've fixed but which they haven't. The only
thing you as a user can do is make sure your system disk and flash disk
aren't too full. Whenever you open a file you're actually running two
copies; the original version on flash disk and the one with the changes
you're making during that session on the system disk. If either drive is
very full the chances of you losing part or all of the file are much
greater. If this isn't the case you might want to consider joining E and
Shelly in nagging PDI. I can't really do so now because I'm running an older
version and can't upgrade at this point, but I also have this problem, and
it's infuriating and unacceptable.
Hth,
Kellie