[bksvol-discuss] Re: words split across pages

  • From: Monica Willyard <plumlipstick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 15:23:20 -0400

As a reader, I see why and agree with why you do this. I'm a little confused about doing this as a validater though. Aren't we supposed to leave the structure of the text as similar to the print book as possible? I do fix a hyphenated word at the bottom of a page. For students, if an instructor tells them to start on page 60 with the word kangaroo, wouldn't it be confusing if we'd moved that word to the previous page to finish the sentence before the page break? I'm not trying to start a debate. I'm asking for clarification because I thought we weren't supposed to modify the text structure.

Monica Willyard

On Monday 10/2/2006 12:52 PM, you wrote:
Thanks for mentioning this, E.

I think it really does make a big difference not to have the sentences
interrupted by the headers and page numbers.  I too have been adjusting to
see that the ends of  pages end in complete sentences. I figure if I have to
look for the hyphenated words at the end of pages, I may as well make the
page end with a complete sentence.   And as you say, this is ESPECIALLY
important when there are footnotes at the bottom of the page.  A reader can
really get lost when the text of the page gets interrupted by a bunch of
sentences in footnotes.

Although this is something we can do when validating, it would make me happy
as a clam if the person who scanned the book and submitted it took the time
and care to do this.