[bksvol-discuss] Re: word processors

  • From: Mike <mlsestak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 19:03:50 -0700

That's the main problem with using wordpad for validating. It keeps page breaks that are already there, but there is no built in way to put in new ones. MS Word uses ctl-enter to do that but it doesn't work in wordpad. Also, most versions of wordpad do not tell you where the page breaks are, so if you delete one, you don't know it (easy to do when removing headers). Good news though, you can cut and paste a page break that is already in the document. So, go to before some page break, start selecting past the page break, hit ctl-c to copy, go to where you want the page bread, hit ctl-v

When I did this, I had blank lines both before and after the page break and selected all three lines just to be sure the page break was in there.

Misha

Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx wrote:
Yes, it does say the words "page break." It does so whether I am letting it read continuously or arrowing past it. It also reads it as a single character, that is, when arrowing left or right one letter at a time it reads the words page break as one single letter. Now, funny this should happen just when we were talking about page breaks. I goofed. I was cleaning up one of those page headers in the current book I am validating and something happened that just barely registered on my consciousness at the time. After saving my changes I started to feel uneasy about that particular fix so I opened the document to look at it again. My suspicions were confirmed. I had accidentally deleted the page break between page 28 and page 29. Is there any way I can fix this without releasing it and downloading it all over again which I suppose would mean having to start all over with everything? In a message dated 7/20/2008 5:24:28 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, mrenae@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

    Hi Roger,

    You are not the first person to say that Wordpad retains and JAWS
    announces
    page breaks while reading rtf documents in the past year or so.  It is
    possible that advances in software have occurred since we were all
    warned
    against using Wordpad to validate.  I do have a question, to
    clarify, not to
    contradict you.  Does JAWS actually say "page break" when you pass
    over a
    page break?  If so, perhaps Jake (Are you out there Jake?) could
    comment on
    this for us.  Jake is kind of our computer geeky guru, or at least
    I hold
    him in high esteem in these matters.  You may be able, Roger, to
    increase
    the options for validators if you can tell us exactly what you
    hear JAWS say
    when you are reading continuously, and when you down or up arrow
    past a page
    break when using Wordpad to validate an rtf document.  It would be
    neat if
    things have changed that would allow more validation options for
    validators!
    I look forward to knowing more!

    Mayrie