[bksvol-discuss] Re: wide white spaces

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 20:26:36 -0500

I don't necessarily know what causes it, but when they are processed by the Bookshare tools the white space is removed.

On 11/9/2015 6:24 PM, Estelnalissi wrote:

Dear Booksharian Friends,
Some rtf files I get to proofread have extremely wide white spaces at the tops and the bottoms of pages. These can’t be reduced using the replace command to replace 2 or more blank lines with 1. I know they are wide because I have to page down up to five times to cross them. It feels as if I’m arrowing up and down a zillion times as I read using JAWS They also take up more memory or something because they take longer to open than books of comparable length.
The mystery is that these studies in white space seem to appear randomly from scanners whose files are normal 95% of the time. Does anyone know or can you guess what glitch transforms these files?
They take longer to work with because using ^m to easily go from page to page to check and double check page numbers and Chapter title fonts takes multiple arrowings to find text. It also takes tons of up and down arrows to put words broken between pages together. I’m using the word with ribbons.
I’m also curious to know how these books turn out when I check them in. I figure Bookshare gets rid of the extra space. In this case I wish I had their tools.
Thanks in advance.
Always with love,
Lissi