[bksvol-discuss] Re: wide white spaces

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 17:37:23 -0600

Hi Lissi,

Just guessing here, but when I find that in a book it's because Word has had characteristics added to some paragraphs that add extra blank space either before a specific paragraph, or after a specific paragraph, or both. That will add enormous white space to the book that you have to page through even though there aren't blank lines in it.

Here's the steps I take when I'm proofreading a book to eliminate that problem, and any other wonky paragraph settings that might be in the file. A caveat: don't do this if a book has Word tables in it, because it will really mess up the tables.

1. Select all text with a control a (hold down the control key while tapping the a key once)
2. Under your version of Word's paragraph formatting menu, set the indents and spacing as follows (I get into the paragraph formatting menu by pressing the alt key then the o key then the p key):
3. Alignment: left or justified (either choice is acceptable)
4. Indentation left: zero
5. Indentation right: zero
6. First line indent: by: 0.0
7. Spacing before paragraphs: zero
8. Spacing after paragraphs: zero
9. Line spacing: at least 12 point
10. Select the OK button.

Judy s.
Follow me on Twitter at QuackersNCheese <https://twitter.com/QuackersNCheese>
On 11/9/2015 5:24 PM, Estelnalissi wrote:

Dear Booksharian Friends,
Some rtf files I get to proofread have extremely wide white spaces at the tops and the bottoms of pages. These can’t be reduced using the replace command to replace 2 or more blank lines with 1. I know they are wide because I have to page down up to five times to cross them. It feels as if I’m arrowing up and down a zillion times as I read using JAWS They also take up more memory or something because they take longer to open than books of comparable length.
The mystery is that these studies in white space seem to appear randomly from scanners whose files are normal 95% of the time. Does anyone know or can you guess what glitch transforms these files?
They take longer to work with because using ^m to easily go from page to page to check and double check page numbers and Chapter title fonts takes multiple arrowings to find text. It also takes tons of up and down arrows to put words broken between pages together. I’m using the word with ribbons.
I’m also curious to know how these books turn out when I check them in. I figure Bookshare gets rid of the extra space. In this case I wish I had their tools.
Thanks in advance.
Always with love,
Lissi