[bksvol-discuss] wide white spaces

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 18:24:38 -0500

Dear Booksharian Friends,

Some rtf files I get to proofread have extremely wide white spaces at the tops
and the bottoms of pages. These can’t be reduced using the replace command to
replace 2 or more blank lines with 1. I know they are wide because I have to
page down up to five times to cross them. It feels as if I’m arrowing up and
down a zillion times as I read using JAWS They also take up more memory or
something because they take longer to open than books of comparable length.

The mystery is that these studies in white space seem to appear randomly from
scanners whose files are normal 95% of the time. Does anyone know or can you
guess what glitch transforms these files?

They take longer to work with because using ^m to easily go from page to page
to check and double check page numbers and Chapter title fonts takes multiple
arrowings to find text. It also takes tons of up and down arrows to put words
broken between pages together. I’m using the word with ribbons.

I’m also curious to know how these books turn out when I check them in. I
figure Bookshare gets rid of the extra space. In this case I wish I had their
tools.

Thanks in advance.

Always with love,

Lissi