[bksvol-discuss] Re: what is freecycle

  • From: Charisma <wishfulfish@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 17:42:33 -0600

Debby asked me what Freecycle is.

It is an organization that is local to many cities in the US to which
you post items you have that you are offering for free. The thing is,
it is not just for the odd couch or whatever but for all the unloved
items. The idea is to offer anything and everything that might be
recycled, and is sort of built on the premise that one man's trash is
another mans' treasure; also that who knows who might need the left
corner spring out of the item you have to replace the left corner
spring for the item they have. lol It is a way to keep junk out of the
dumps.

You can also post WANTs to ask if anyone happens to have something.
You never know who has that old lawn penguin from the 1980s that they
are not using and you desperately need.

You can go here to enter your city and see if you have one near you:
http://www.freecycle.org/

I love this. I've traded a rubbermaid tote designed for fake Christmas
trees for pillow cases. I've asked for someone to help me clean out my
basement storage in trade for letting them keep what they found that
they wanted. I've given away dozens of things and received a handful
that I asked for. You meet a LOT of super nice people and a few
ultra-weenies.

Some Freecycles limit only to OFFER and WANT, and do not allow trading
or asking for information. Some allow a mixture of those.

Charisma