[bksvol-discuss] Re: welcome new volunteers

  • From: Scott Rains <scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 14:56:23 -0700

Sandi,

You may have noticed that Erin was asking for a short easy book to
proofread. You may find it easiest to begin with a scan of that sort of
book.

Books with a difficulty level of 1 or 2 are considered easy. Children's
books tend to be short but not easy (thus they are 3.5) Below is a
description of what makes a book difficult. Levels 1 and 2 tend to be
novels and young adult books.

Scott

Levels of Complexity for Scanning or Proofreading a Book

Levels are assigned to all books, to determine their overall difficulty
in proofing. 1 is the easiest type of book to proof, and 6 is the hardest.
The
time it takes to proof a book depends on its level and its length.

Level 1: The book has only text, chapter numbers, and page
numbers, in a standard font.

Level 2: The book has running headers or footers, in a
standard font, on at least half the pages.

Level 3: The book has page numbers or running headers in a
non-standard font, footnotes, superscripts, captions, charts, or more than
few words in a foreign language, poems, or pictures.

Level 3.5: The book has pictures that need to be described.
This is mostly used for childrens¹ picture books.

Level 4: The book has many words in a foreign language, many
pictures, many charts, or insets.

Level 5: The book has many areas of separate text on each
page, formulas, text that forces scans with differing brightness (like
different colors), or heavily formatted text.

Level 6: The book has text in a non-standard font (which
forces the book to be retyped), text at a non-horizontal angle, or
massively
formatted text.