[bksvol-discuss] Re: ways to make bookshare better

  • From: "Chris Hofstader" <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 09:07:49 -0400

All,

I'd like to underscore E's statement that the nature of BSO must evolve as
we learn better techniques until we can even propose a system of "best
practices."  As Bookshare.org moves forward so does the state-of-the-art of
assembling a digital library from the combined efforts of volunteers, staff
and publisher contributions.  No one has ever done this before so we should
all go out and get ourselves a set of digital buckskins and coon skin hats
as we are the pioneers on the frontier in materials for people with print
impairments.  So, enjoy thinking of yourself as the Kit Carson or Davey
Crockett of this era as, together, we find the safe passage across the
digital divide and blaze the trail for those who will come after us.

During this era, the early part of the 21st century, we, as people who enjoy
and contribute to technological strides in many areas that effect people
with vision or other print impairments can enjoy access to computing
devices, multi-media handsets, mobile phones and, of course, digital
libraries and other ever more innovative technologies that seem to pop up on
a near monthly basis.  Today, some of these are quite affordable and others
are still fairly pricey but the trend seems to point to increasing access
both on a technology and economic basis.  We're in for a wild ride in the
coming few years and, while we'll hit a bunch of potholes and speed bumps
along the way, I feel very strongly that we will enjoy very cool new stuff
at affordable prices on a near monthly basis.

To wit: In the past year, we have seen Serotek put out System Access to Go
to any Anglophone on Earth at no cost.  We've seen the release of the latest
and greatest software for The Humanware Victor Reader Stream, hardware
designed specifically with the needs of people with print impairments in
mind at the price of a mainstream audio player.  Code Factory came to an
agreement with AT&T to make mobile phone handset screen readers for Symbian
and Windows Mobile available for $99 which those of us who enjoy bookshare
content can use to read html or BRF versions of the books on an
off-the-shelf mobile phone (a really nice one like the AT&T Blackjack 2 can
be had for $99).  One can also get the Code Factory Mobile Daisy Player for
a few extra bucks and enjoy the advantages available in fully featured Daisy
devices.  Recently, we've been inundated by announcements from GW Micro,
Apple, Freedom Scientific and elsewhere about the new accessibility of
iTunes for Windows - fun is coming to our market niche fast and furiously.
Apple also released a Nano iPod with synthesized speech menus and lots of
other highly accessible aspects of its interface so hipster blinks can carry
and use the same ultra-hot device as their sighted friends.  Serotek has
expanded its Mobile Network, a terrific online service and System Access,
including the no cost "To Go" version works quite well with many social
networking sites like Face Book, web pages that excluded our community only
a few months ago.  Freedom Scientific has done some amazing work with
Firefox and "Web 2.0" sites making them very usable in a manner never
previously encountered by people like us.

I could go on and on but I've rambled enough for a rainy Sunday morning in
which I'm enjoying a very optimistic view of the world.

Have fun,
cdh

Chris Hofstader
CUNY, BSO, ATG, Odds and Ends