[bksvol-discuss] Re: volunteers : was: A Plan for More Work (was Acdcent Marks)

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 23:15:03 -0400

Well, like I said, there are some good reasons to do the holds. It does seem, though, that some submitters only want to submit books for certain people.

On 6/4/2012 11:11 PM, Ixchel wrote:
Hi Roger,
I don't think every book a submitter does should be placed on "hold." I think some books should. For example, if a submitter and proofer are doing a series.
Jackie

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 4, 2012, at 11:03 PM, Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx <mailto:rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>> wrote:

Since the subject is up I may as well say this. I never have liked the practice of holding books for certain proofreaders very well. I know that there are legitimate reasons for it and, in fact, in the past I have mentioned scanning a certain book and placing a hold on it at someone's request. I realize that certain people may be especially qualified to proof a certain book. A book that requires a sighted proofer is an example and another example might be when only one person has a print copy to check for certain errors. The practice of holding each and every submission for someone, though, strikes me as cliquish. It kind of freezes out new proofers and it gives the impression of a certain in group that one must figure out how to break into. I usually do not say anything about it, though, because of all the quite legitimate reasons to hold a book for someone. However, for the most part I just quietly scan what I can get hold of and submit it. It is up for grabs.

On 6/4/2012 10:53 PM, Susan Lumpkin wrote:

Hi Roger,

That’s how I feel about proofing! Larry and I usually work together as a team but he is willing to scan for others! I haven’t proofed for a while and may or may not get back to it, not really sure! Before I took my break, I had proofread for 8 years without much of one!

Susan