[bksvol-discuss] Re: volunteer Lori Miller

  • From: "EVAN REESE" <mentat3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 23:35:37 -0400

Still not sure that I'm following you completely here. But if I'm at least partially understanding what you're saying, then you need to put the "Hold for" or "Save for" in the title when you submit the book, not the file name. If the book doesn't have an ISBN, then you can put the "hold for" or "Save for" in the title when you fill it in. If the book does have an ISBN, then you can edit the already filled in title when the form comes up after you enter the ISBN.

People may well ignore a "hold for" or "Save for" in a file name if the book title doesn't have those words ahead of it, figuring that either the book was being held for someone that decided not to take it, and it was placed back on the Check Out page with the "Hold for" or "Save for" removed. That happens sometimes. Or for whatever other reason, if a book does not have a "Hold for" or "Save for" in the title, then the book may well be considered by this person as available for anyone to proofread regardless of what the file name says. And if, as you say, entering the ISBN overwrites the "Save for" in the file name, then there is absolutely no way for anyone to know that a book was intended for a specific person, or that it ever might have been.

Good luck.

Evan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Valerie Maples" <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>