[bksvol-discuss] Re: venting my frustrations

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <geraldhovas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 11:34:05 -0600

Tom,

Since you're obviously wondering why you as a volunteer couldn't be allowed
to help with approvals, let me explain the issues.  BTW, You aren't the
first volunteer to wonder about this, and certainly won't be the last.  I
had seen this issue brought up earlier this year, so I asked Gustavo the
question several months back when I began monitoring the list because I knew
it would eventually pop up again and wanted to be prepared if it did.

Time isn't the issue here.  It's money.  An administrator needs to be a paid
employee in order to have accountability.  Bookshare has legal obligations
to meet every time they add a book to the collection.  If an employee adds
books to the collection without ensuring that those legal obligations are
met, then they can be held accountable.  Volunteers can not.  There is also
the issue that it would probably take a considerable number of books in the
collection with incorrect titles, authors, or copyright info before the
problem could be discovered.  if the problem gets that far, then Bookshare
has a serious problem to deal with.  Also, accountability means possibly
losing your job, not losing your membership.

There is also the issue of administrators having access to members' and
volunteers' personal information since that info is probably kept in the
same database or on the same system.

As for Gustavo handling the load by himself at this time,  He seems quite
capable of doing so, so I wouldn't worry about him having to do it all by
himself right now.  There will no doubt come a time in the future when he
will no longer be able to carry the load without help, and Bookshare will
address that problem when it occurs.  Hopefully Bookshare will be in much
better shape financially before that does occur and can hire someone who can
not only share in some of the responsibility of approving books, but can act
as a volunteer coordinator as well which will free up Gustavo and Janice to
focus on all of the other tasks they were doing before Marissa left for
graduate school.

BTW, don't worry about venting on the list.  A certain amount of that is not
only expected, but healthy.  It's only a big deal when a volunteer chooses
to post about the same problem day after day after day.

HTH

Gerald