[bksvol-discuss] Re: venting my frustrations

  • From: Mike Pietruk <pietruk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 09:05:05 -0500 (EST)

Grace

The reason I think this happens is that in doing bibliographies, looking
at bookseller and library catalogs, and almost everywhere else, the
publisher is what is cited.
Hence, it becomes second-nature to imput the publisher in that field
rather than the copyright holder.
Having said that, this leads to the real problem:  if the dcopyright
database doesn't have the listing,
one is left sort of hanging as (apparently) what the book itself says on
the printed isn't good enough.
then what else can be relied upon.
Then let's question the validity of the book itself, etc.
And if submitters and validators too often get dragged down in this
technical pettiness, they will stop submitting/validating as they are
spending more time wallowing in technical issues rather than the quality
of the book itself.
I know we are living in a legalist society, but that's not why submitters
submit, validators validate, etc.
They do it in the belief that they want to share the printed word and get
it in the hands of more handicapped individuals,
and continual roadblocks in this effort don't serve that end.
As I said before, it is one thing to suggest that a form was incorrectly
filled out, perhaps even something misscanned,
but if, for example, my sighted wife says the copyright reads "simon and
Schuster rather than the author (which also scans that way), why is that
worth doubting.
Sure, I can and do verify via the copyright office database (if the book
is included), but many non mainstream publishers do not submit their
entries there for whatever reason.
Should these books not be a part of BookShare!!
Should the submitters of these books be told that their submissions are
unwelcome even though they are books sold in bookstores, found in
libraries, etc?

Sure, Gustavo has more work on his plate than he can handle, I feel for
him on that!  But BookShare should not make its problems mine or yours,
and that is what it is attempting to do.