[bksvol-discuss] Re: venting my frustrations

  • From: Mike Pietruk <pietruk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 07:36:57 -0500 (EST)

Gerald

I understand that submitters and validators can and do fill out forms
incorrectly.  I do understand that scanners/ocr software can and do
scan/recognize incorrectly.
And, yes, I do understand why, under the exemption BookShare operates
within the copyright law, why the copyright being correct is important.
Having said that, however, there are many instances that books do not make
the copyright office database allowing for a simple verification as some
publishers and authors simply don't bother with that registration for
whatever reason.
Yet, of course, they are still copyrighted.
I guess what floors me is why one would doubt the stated copyright within
the book itself.
If the book itself on the printed page says xxx is the publisher, then it
is safe that xxx is the publisher.
It is one thing to doubt the competency of the submitter/validator in
filling out forms, it is another to doubt the printed page itself.
I think it is this latter point that has many of us scratching our heads.