[bksvol-discuss] Re: validating questions

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:55:51 -0500

You have offered good advice to the new validator, but I would like to
clarify two points. First, in American English quotation marks are
double and internal quotation marks are single, that is, written as
apostrophes. In British English it is exactly the opposite with
Quotation marks being single and internal quotes being double. That
means that it is a good idea to check where the book was published
before making the changes. The second clarification is that the
hyphens in hyphenated words should be deleted and the words joined if
the hyphens are the result of a word being broken at the end of lines
to preserve straight margins in the print copies. If the word is
actually a hyphenated word whether at the end of a line or not then
the hyphens should be left.