[bksvol-discuss] Re: validating questions

  • From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 20:34:44 -0800

Hi Chanelle!

        This is definitely the place for your questions. Welcome!

        You are correct that sentences without periods are probably just
things that the scanner didn't pick up and you can insert them.  You can
remove the spaces before closing quotes to make them appear properly.
Apostrophes are used for a quote within a quote.  So, I wouldn't change them
if this is what is happening.  Occasionally quotation marks will scan as two
apostrophes, no idea why on that.

        Sorry, I'm out of order here.  Yes, you can remove the running
headers and leave the page numbers.  This is a good idea, in fact.

        It is probable that the pages 1 through 9 just didn't have their
numbers scanned.  Very often, OCR dumps single numerals as garbage
characters.  So, you are safe, in my opinion adding them in.  You can also
insert any page numbers that are missing when you know that the pagination
is correct.  This kind of thing is helpful.

        As for your dates, it is possible that those may be stripped.
Here's what you can and should do to protect them.  Insert the page number
above the date.  Your page should appear like this:
Page break
Blank line
Page number
Blank line
Date (or chapter heading as this is what these appear to be)
Blank line
Text on the page
Blank line

        Yes, you should join hyphenated words and remove the extra dashes.
You can remove the extra spaces, if you choose to, or you can let
Bookshare's tools do that for you.  They can be counted upon to do that
accurately.

        If you don't have the e-mail address of a submitter and need to
contact them, you can contact the volunteer coordinater, Pavi, at
pavim@xxxxxxxxxxxx and ask her to contact the submitter for you.  You can
have her give that person your e-mail address if you want to do that.

        If I've missed anything, please, just ask again.  I suspect you'll
get lots of help here.  I'm thrilled that you've joined us!  Careful
validators like you are very much appreciated by us and by Bookshare's
patrons.  It's careful work like what you're doing that results in truly
enjoyable, and accurate books to read.  I hope you have as much fun
volunteering as I do!

Mayrie