[bksvol-discuss] Re: validating

  • From: "Pratik Patel" <pratikp1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 00:13:13 -0400

Hope,

There may be nothing wrong with your computer or its settings.  It may be
that the scan is bad.  If, at anytime, you feel that the scan is not worth
putting into bookshare's collection, you are allowed to reject it.  I would
not recommend going to the library and acquiring the book just so that you
can fix the types of errors you describe.  If there are a few pages missing,
for example, you can take those steps.  However the type of information that
appears to be missing from this book cannot be obtained by just scanning a
few pages.  It is likely that you would have to scan much more.  As a
validator, it is your first perogative to check for the validity of the
copyright information and check and make sure that all content is available
and readable.  If it is not, I would suggest you reject.

As to submiters validating their own submissions--there are a few different
schools of thoughts on that.  It is my personal belief that, in order to
ensure that the Bookshare collection is the best we can make it, submiters
should not validate their own submission unless absolutely necessary. ...  I
would use he analogy of a writer writing a review for her own book.  As a
submitter, one may be too close to the submission to be able to think
objectively about the book.  In practice, I have tried to avoid validating
my own submissions.  There are circumstances, however, where this is an
acceptable practice.

I hope this helps.

Pratik

Pratik Patel