[bksvol-discuss] Re: =?utf-8?Q?OT:_RIP_Scott_Rains_(November_27,_1956_–?

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 May 2016 13:27:14 -0400

Dear Booksharian Friends and Valerie,

Valerie, Thank you for letting us know about Scott's passing.

All of the volunteer coordinators have done helpful things for the volunteer community but He had such a good heart and was the most caring, encouraging, appreciative and communicative of them to date. He kept the needs of all handicaps in mind, was open to, but not driven by volunteer suggestions, he worked at providing training for new volunteers and he implemented several ways to recognize volunteer efforts while discouraging competitiveness.

The practice that comes most to mind is his apprising us of bookshare statistics on a regular basis. For example he told us how many volunteer books were added every month and the total volunteer contribution for the year. He posted a list of the top 100 scanners and proofreaders of the year with the total books prepared for the collection by each. Though I'm highly motivated to proofread as many books as possible every year, I put quality first, still proofreading every word and rereading if I think my mind may have wandered. Scott reinforced the quality first and quantity last maxim and cheered on our deranged perfectionism.

On list he supported our conversations not just about questions we asked of and answered for each other, but our posts about our projects and our progress on achieving them. He also encouraged volunteers to work together for larger projects. I don't recall that he ever communicated irritation on list. He kept us up to date on Bookshare's accomplishments and the many changes that were always in progress making us feel valued and included. He also did his best to communicate with engineering about problems we had on the site, which also made us feel that our needs were important to Bookshare. He contacted volunteers off list on more sensitive matters or for individual coaching or reminders of protocol and best practices. Back then the Bookshare lists were such inspiring, friendly places.

There are so many people in the world who care more about uplifting others than themselves and he was one of them. It's hard for me to cope with the way illness and circumstances cause the death of people who are making the best of their lives. I'm so sorry his last year was difficult. He will be missed.

Always with love,

Lissi

Always with love,

Lissi

-----Original Message----- From: Valerie Maples
Sent: Sunday, May 08, 2016 5:55 AM
To: Bookshare Volunteer List
Cc: Doug Maples
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] ==3Futf-8?Q?OT:_RIP_Scott_Rains_(November_27,_1956_–?

I apologize if someone posted and I missed it, but I just learned that Scott died on my birthday last week. Not many people may know, but Scott was paralyzed during a life-saving surgery when he was (I think) 19. Anyway, around 2 years ago he found out he had glioblastoma (a deadly brain cancer) and was given 4-6 months to live. He and his wife made the most of his time and Doug and I were even blessed to chat with him several times after his diagnosis.

Scott was a friend, a mentor and a voice for opportunity and I will miss the friend I met here on Bookshare...

Valerie Maples

I talk, computer types, we both make mistakes. ;-)

To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to

To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to
bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To get a list of
available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject line.