[bksvol-discuss] Re: =?utf-8?Q?OT:_RIP_Scott_Rains_(November_27,_1956_–?

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 May 2016 13:00:45 -0400

I'm very sorry to hear about this. He was a tremendous Volunteer Coordinator. He really believed in Bookshare's mission. I still look back on his time with nostalgia. You could tell that he put his heart into his job. He made recognizing volunteer contributions a high priority. And he was a really likable guy.
Evan

-----Original Message----- From: Valerie Maples
Sent: Sunday, May 08, 2016 5:55 AM
To: Bookshare Volunteer List
Cc: Doug Maples
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] ==3Futf-8?Q?OT:_RIP_Scott_Rains_(November_27,_1956_–?

I apologize if someone posted and I missed it, but I just learned that Scott died on my birthday last week. Not many people may know, but Scott was paralyzed during a life-saving surgery when he was (I think) 19. Anyway, around 2 years ago he found out he had glioblastoma (a deadly brain cancer) and was given 4-6 months to live. He and his wife made the most of his time and Doug and I were even blessed to chat with him several times after his diagnosis.

Scott was a friend, a mentor and a voice for opportunity and I will miss the friend I met here on Bookshare...

Valerie Maples

I talk, computer types, we both make mistakes. ;-)

To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to

To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to
bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To get a list of
available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject line.